• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nissan Leaf EV

hammer

Not nearly as much as individual cars do. Efficiency in scale, you know. "Power plants pollute the air" is not a valid argument against electric cars. Carbon footprints of the manufacturing, mining, and materials that go into them, on the other hand, could be.

Death of the gas tax could also be a powerful point against. What is the actual cost of the tax credit, if you factor in all the un-bought gasoline?
Not making any argument against electric cars, just making the point that electric cars are not really "zero-emissions"...

ctenidae

Not making any argument against electric cars, just making the point that electric cars are not really "zero-emissions"...

Good enough. Sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on you, I just hear that comment a lot, generally as a reason why electric cars are stupid. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of reasons electric cars are stupid, that's just not realy one of them.

/there are a lot of reasons they're smart, too, btw

Hawkshot99

This is all irrelevent. Electric at home will cost less than the pump. And home electricity may come from fossil fuels but less of it. Those are reasons for EV, not against.

It is not irrelevant. The cars still require the fossil fuels to be burned, just not in the car, and people do not factor in their increased electric bills with the car.

I dont have anything against a electric car, but have heard many people say how they are fossil fuel free, and they never mention the charging. At this point in time a EV would never work for me. I have to drive to much for work, and I doubt that car will pull my lawn mower trailers very well.

Cannonball

It is not irrelevant. The cars still require the fossil fuels to be burned, just not in the car, and people do not factor in their increased electric bills with the car.

I dont have anything against a electric car, but have heard many people say how they are fossil fuel free, and they never mention the charging. At this point in time a EV would never work for me. I have to drive to much for work, and I doubt that car will pull my lawn mower trailers very well.

Probably very true. But I but your truck could pull trailers full of electric mowers. And I bet you actually could put a dent in both emissions and fuel cost at that level. Start small.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

No one in this thread suggested that EVs are fossil fuel free which is why I suggested your comments were not relevant. I don't think that should be a consideration when considering an EV except perhaps that EVs do in fact use less fossil fuel than other engine types. I just don't see the point in bringing it up unless someone is claiming otherwise or perhaps has been somehow mislead.