• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Carolina hiking

ctenidae

Heading to Pisgah Nat'l Forest in NC beginning of June, apparently around the Wilson's Creek area. Anybody know anything about it? I haven't been out there in about 10 years, since a course at NC OBS. Also, anyone know which 7.5 quad that is? I can't find a decent enough one online to tell if it's Linville Gorge or Grandfather Mountain, and the USGS map for Linville Gorge isn't showing online. Odd, no? I'm doing a night hike in to meet up with some people, and figure it'll be easier with the right map.

Mike P.

I've only been to Mt. Mitchell area once, sorry can't help. Are you using topozone for trying to get map? Parts of Pigsah may be available at/thru EMS or REI, I think I have one at home somewhere (Trails Illustrated series I think)

When I went to Mt. Mitchell, I did not get into Asheville where I was staying early enough to get map I needed. I called Black Dome Sports (should be able to find them online as they advertise occasionally in Climbing with a web address) in Asheville (maybe other locations too) & they not only sold me the right map I needed but they delivered it to the hotel I stayed in that night so when I checked in the map was there waiting for me.

That's customer service even for a one time customer 1000 miles away for a 5.00 map. When I'm down in TN in July when looking for an outdoor store none years after my purchase, I'll be looking first for Black Dome before I try anyone else. :)

amf

Don't know if this reply will reach you before your trip, but I did an overnite aling Wilson Creek many years back. I recall lots of waterfalls, and trout so thick you could practically walk on them! Don't recall what topo sheet it was on, but the FS had a nicely detailed trail map of the area.