• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Notch Effect: the downside

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd like a bit more back story honestly. What was the exchange between Patroler and the person skinning?

If I broke a rule at Gunstock, I wouldn't expect preferential treatment just because I purchase a season pass there.

An example at Gunstock would be the ridge line extending between the Tiger trail pod and Mt. Rowe. Last year, with all the snow, the bowl between looked great to ski. I'm pretty certain the sign at the entrance to the ridge line trail says no downhill gear. I'll double check tomorrow. If we had the same snow this year, I'd be tempted to take my downhill gear out there and ski the bowl. If I got caught, there wouldn't be much I could say about it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but it sounds like threecy knows the person who got "documented" and is in a friendly enough position with the person to request a copy to post to his web site. Makes you wonder if someone for the Cannon lease purposefully broke the rules while the ski area was open making a scene and bringing down the punishment in an attempt to further a political agenda? It is late season and many people stop skiing now... makes you wonder...

AdironRider

He has a history of this kind of thing with hiking trails in Ossipee. You nailed it Riv IMO.

We had a similar situation here at JHole last year. Long time local deliberatley skinned up the cat tracks to prove a point, got called out on it, made a huge stink, got his ass kicked off. His case ended differently as his lawyer is none other than Gerry Spence, a guy who has never lost a lawsuit before.

Its stupid. There a millions of other areas to skin, including right across the street on Lafayette. The only people I know that try to skin an open ski area are looking for a problem.

Threecy, get over it, what motivation is there to skin up Cannon while its open other than to cause problems? Its not necessary that someone does that, and is a liability to the ski hill.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Threecy, get over it, what motivation is there to skin up Cannon while its open other than to cause problems? Its not necessary that someone does that, and is a liability to the ski hill.

Maybe the conversation has moved on and I missed it, but I thought the point was skinning Cannon on Sat when it was on wind hold?

Puck it

It will probably show up on his site for the "ethicaltreatmentofcannonleasepropents.com"!!!!

Cannonball

Maybe the conversation has moved on and I missed it, but I thought the point was skinning Cannon on Sat when it was on wind hold?

Yeah, you missed it. Quick digest:
- People skinned and hiked (including Threecy) when it was closed on Sat. They had no hassles.
- Someone skinned recently when it was open. They got a warning.
- Threecy is calling this "selective enforcement" and will be providing us with an exciting new thread including documents. Stay tuned!!

This is shaping up to be the best cliff-hanger since the saga of the abandoned skis at Stowe.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Changed my mind. I won't be posting anything in regard to this incident here. These forums used to be civil when I joined years ago. Now? Not so much.

UVSHTSTRM

I can start a new thread when I get the document(s) if you want.

Threecy, I see you don't want to post the Docs here, which is fine, and perhaps you won't post them anywhere, but what kind of Docs were they? Did the person who was told not to skin and that he might lose his pass get some sort of written warning (something along those lines). I am just curious in general what kind of Docs, not specific content.

Thanks,

UV

Cannonball

Changed my mind. I won't be posting anything in regard to this incident here. These forums used to be civil when I joined years ago. Now? Not so much.

No kidding right!? I start a thread about the unique weather in our notches and it somehow gets turned into a political debate about public authorities and public land. Any suggestions on reclaiming civility? Perhaps revisiting the 'no politics' guidelines?

deadheadskier

Staff member
No kidding right!? I start a thread about the unique weather in our notches and it somehow gets turned into a political debate about public authorities and public land. Any suggestions on reclaiming civility? Perhaps revisiting the 'no politics' guidelines?

Kind of like how he turned the 1st thread of the season celebrating Cannon's opening into an opportunity to push his political agenda?

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=104319&highlight=Cannon

Puck it

This isn't where I parked my car!

SIKSKIER

I was lucky and smart enough to ski Cannon yesterday in a big blue spring day with all that new snow from Sunday nights storm.Absolutely perfect spring day.Anyway,while hanging out on Taft barbecuing 2 guys came skinning up.They came from Mittersill and said nobody said a word.FWIW

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
At first I couldn't believe that he was forcing an agenda but it really seems that he does. Threecy, if you aren't - just say so.

neil

At first I couldn't believe that he was forcing an agenda but it really seems that he does. Threecy, if you aren't - just say so.

I even stuck up for him. Damn you Threecy.