• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Now I know how a skier feels...

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Saturday morning I woke up and let my ten-month old Siberian Husky out of her kennel to play in the newfallen snow. I watched for a few minutes as she walked around the yard, trying to figure out what all of the white stuff was. Before long she was tearing around, having an absolute ball on her new "slip-and-slide" that mother nature created. I went inside to do some chores, promising to take her for a walk that afternoon.

At around 1 pm I went outside to put the leash on her, and it was at this time I noticed a much different look in her eye. What was once a lazy yet curious gaze was transformed into a very intense, purposeful stare. She knew there was more snow out there and she wanted it. She gave me no trouble as I strapped on her walking harness, which usually turns into a wrestling match. :lol: As I walked along the road, she trotted - no, hopped - alongside. Like a rabbit, a 35 lb rabbit jumping up and down in the brush, two to three feet off the ground it seemed, delighted that she was the first to make tracks in the new 1" deep "powder". I now realize why men and women fly helicopters to remote peaks just to be the first to make tracks. She wasn't satisfied until every square inch within her six foot leash range was thoroughly disturbed. We only walked a half mile (we usually do 2) but she was quite worn out. It also seemed to have a calming effect on her; we had our most productive obedience session ever when we got home.

Eventhough she hasn't seen snow since she was 6 weeks old, that primal instinct is still alive and well. Every once in a while she would look up at me as if to say "Thanks for the snow dad! What took you so long getting it here?" Now I know why you skiers start chomping at the bit as soon as the mercury reaches 32.

Thanks for letting me share. It was quite a sight to behold.
Smitty

L

LordHedgie

I've been getting that same feeling when I scrape ice off the windshield, and it clumps up at the bottom into a small handfull of snow.... Soon, so soon....

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Thanks Smitty, I needed that story!

That's exactly how I feel each time I see the new fallen snow! I want to run out and play in it, roll around in it and rejoice in it's splendor!
The other day when it started I was trapped in a classroom. I wanted so much just to get up and run out and play in it, but I couldn't, afterall, I am the teacher.

I know how that dog felt! I have felt it many times before in my life.

You got to get that dog some skis now! ...or maybe a dogsled.

MtnMagic

This was a pleasure to read. It's a wonderfully written, heart warming story. Nothing like a puppy having a great time in the outdoors. Hope you get out to hike with her often.

Thank you for sharing. Cheers!

Greg

Staff member
MtnMagic said:
This was a pleasure to read. It's a wonderfully written, heart warming story. Nothing like a puppy having a great time in the outdoors. Hope you get out to hike with her often.

Thank you for sharing. Cheers!
Agreed. I particularly enjoyed how smitty77, while not a skier, posted this story in a way that connects with skiers on this board. :)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
TeleGrrrl said:
Nice story Smitty :D :D
I think some dogs just have a natural love for the white stuff!
I bought my pup from a breeder in eastern Mass who breeds and races siberian sled dogs so I figured she would take to the white stuff.

TeachSki said:
You got to get that dog some skis now! ...or maybe a dogsled.
That's next on my lift of goodies. I keep probing the web (sled dog sites in particular) for a small, cheap sled. If I can't find that, I may buy myself a cheap set of x-country skis and go skijoring with her. She's lean, strong, loves to run, and LOVES to pull (I swear one arm is getting longer than the other).

MtnMagic said:
Thanks Magic. I don't get to hike with her nearly as much as I would like because we're still working on curing a major car sickness issue. She's good for about 5 miles in the car and then..... :puke: I know... too graphic

Thanks for all of the kind words. I'm just glad I could brighten everyone's day.
Smitty

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
uphillklimber said:
Have you ever tried skijouring? That's where the dog is harnessed up just like a dog sled, but he's harnessed to You :eek: !!!! The commands to the dog are the same as sled pulling. The dog doesn't do all the work, unless it really, really wants to!!! You ski along and it gets to pull, with your approval!! What could be better in the dogs mind?
I've been looking into this, although I have to admit my cross country skills need quite a bit of work before I hitch that pulling machine to my waist. We've been working on the direction commands while we walk... just in case I come across a small sled. 8)