• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY Skiing, an observation I've long held

abc

I think it's safe to assume that there are probably a good reasons why nothing more ever got built.
The reason is some rich guy made that a condition for the rest of us to use that chunk of land that he owned!

And that's as left-wing politicos as it gets, Benedict!
Yes, left-wing politicos beholden to environmental extremists.

x10003q

The reason is some rich guy made that a condition for the rest of us to use that chunk of land that he owned!

And that's as left-wing politicos as it gets, Benedict!

The name of that rich guy was The State of New York

AdironRider

And that's the real reason for lack of expansion. If they were run privately they would most likely be more efficient. Expansion around Whiteface or Gore would benefit everyone.

Not sure on Gore, but NYS limits overall trail milage. Would take a revision of the state constitution to fix. Never going to happen.

So even if privately owned, they couldn't expand terrain.

MadMadWorld

Expansion of what terrain or infrastructure or condos?

Well my guess is all of the above. I would try and turn into a destination area where people would ski and stay. Like what Sugarloaf has done. I think that's a great comparison in terms of potential.

teqeeler

I'm in the business of answering posts truthfully.

Environmental extremism and political money/power are the reason why you cant so much as step on a blade of grass there. I would file that one under, "things most people regardless of political ideology commonly understand".

The words that YOU type are not the truth but your own personal opinion, one that I disagree with.
So my words must be the truth then if that is what i think from your logic?
Environmental extremism as you call it has resulted in clean drinking water, clean rivers and lakes, clean soil and clean air, poisons taking out a million different products etc.
If it wasn't for the "extremism" as you call it non of that stuff would have happened the way it did. If you let big business control those measures and do it on there own term then nothing would ever get done. Businesses aren't going to regulate themselves and the environment if other competing companies aren't doing it. They especially won't make changes if it affects their bottom line.
The only way they will protect the environment is if they are forced too.
Yes EPA laws are extensive, hurt profits and can hinder growth but if they weren't there they would be exploited beyond belief, I personally wouldn't want to exist in a world where the environment isn;t important. Go visit china and see how life is there.

What maybe is common sense to you is not the case for everyone. Alot of people in this world lack common sense so if those " blades of grass" aka dunes aren't protected people will have no regard for destroying them and thus protection coastal towns from storms, destroying the coast and bird habitats.

BenedictGomez

The words that YOU type are not the truth but your own personal opinion, one that I disagree with.
So my words must be the truth then if that is what i think from your logic?
Environmental extremism as you call it has resulted in clean drinking water, clean rivers and lakes, clean soil and clean air, poisons taking out a million different products etc.
If it wasn't for the "extremism" as you call it non of that stuff would have happened the way it did. If you let big business control those measures and do it on there own term then nothing would ever get done. Businesses aren't going to regulate themselves and the environment if other competing companies aren't doing it. They especially won't make changes if it affects their bottom line.
The only way they will protect the environment is if they are forced too.
Yes EPA laws are extensive, hurt profits and can hinder growth but if they weren't there they would be exploited beyond belief, I personally wouldn't want to exist in a world where the environment isn;t important. Go visit china and see how life is there.

What maybe is common sense to you is not the case for everyone. Alot of people in this world lack common sense so if those " blades of grass" aka dunes aren't protected people will have no regard for destroying them and thus protection coastal towns from storms, destroying the coast and bird habitats.

Lets see......17 posts in 9 years, but THIS is what he comments on......on a skiing board.

A most impressive post too, I believe he managed to break the all-time internet record for:

"Most Strawman Arguments Contained in 250 Words or Less".

Now, I'm not sure you could have intentionally distorted or exaggerated my comment more if you tried, but lets just diffuse one of those your Strawman Arguments (as opposed to all of them) with an example:

A Government law that you cant dump nuclear waste in rivers DOES NOT = "environmental extremism"

BUT

A Government law that bans most current wood burning stoves and imposes strict smoke regulations DOES = "environmental extremism"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...-chilling-consequences-for-many-rural-people/

Scruffy

I'm in the business of answering posts truthfully.

Environmental extremism and political money/power are the reason why you cant so much as step on a blade of grass there. I would file that one under, "things most people regardless of political ideology commonly understand".

Benny and the Jet's says: "I'm in the business of answering posts truthfully."

Then you should learn more about what you think you know all about, or redefine your definition of truth.

Verplanck Colvin was a republican. Regardless, the major reason for the formation of the Adirondack Park, and thus some lands within it classified as Forever Wild, was to protect capitalistic interests - commercial interest in the keeping the Hudson River navigable.

So, no, "Politico Lefty Environmentalist" had little, to nothing, to do with the reason that today you can't so much as step on a club footed moss there.

x10003q

Benny and the Jet's says: "I'm in the business of answering posts truthfully."

Then you should learn more about what you think you know all about, or redefine your definition of truth.

Verplanck Colvin was a republican. Regardless, the major reason for the formation of the Adirondack Park, and thus some lands within it classified as Forever Wild, was to protect capitalistic interests - commercial interest in the keeping the Hudson River navigable.

So, no, "Politico Lefty Environmentalist" had little, to nothing, to do with the reason that today you can't so much as step on a club footed moss there.

Verplanck Colvin ran as a Republican in 1891. He also was in charge of the survey of the Adirondack region. A bigger worry at the time was the Erie Canal. Run off after too much logging could have caused bad silting for both the Canal and the Hudson.

Gore has a mileage limit of 40 miles and Whiteface and Belleayre have limits of 25 miles. Both limits are arbitrary and have no basis in reality. There were also limits on trail width, but those have been modified to accommodate safety needs of ski racing.

jacknoir

The Adirondack State Park has special regs regarding development, and many of us like it that way.

MadMadWorld

Verplanck Colvin ran as a Republican in 1891. He also was in charge of the survey of the Adirondack region. A bigger worry at the time was the Erie Canal. Run off after too much logging could have caused bad silting for both the Canal and the Hudson.

Gore has a mileage limit of 40 miles and Whiteface and Belleayre have limits of 25 miles. Both limits are arbitrary and have no basis in reality. There were also limits on trail width, but those have been modified to accommodate safety needs of ski racing.

Do glades count towards the mileage? Seems like Gore would be over that if they counted.

x10003q

Do glades count towards the mileage? Seems like Gore would be over that if they counted.

For some unknown reason Gore does not count the glades/lift lines. Double Barrel, Dark Side Glades, High Pines Glades are Gore lift lines that are not counted. They all lack snowmaking. Whiteface does count glades and lift lines. It is not clear why there is a difference. Some have guessed it has to do with different land classifications and/or individual management opinions. The mileage limits are not tied to acreage. A trail 1/2 mile long and 200 feet wide is considered the same as a 1/2 mile trail that is 30 feet wide.

Smellytele

Well my guess is all of the above. I would try and turn into a destination area where people would ski and stay. Like what Sugarloaf has done. I think that's a great comparison in terms of potential.

Well Whiteface has Lake Placid right down the road so they don't need the condos and such. Gore on the other hand may. Not sure what would be needed for Infrastructure at either. They both seem fine. Terrain is a different story.

MadMadWorld

For some unknown reason Gore does not count the glades/lift lines. Double Barrel, Dark Side Glades, High Pines Glades are Gore lift lines that are not counted. They all lack snowmaking. Whiteface does count glades and lift lines. It is not clear why there is a difference. Some have guessed it has to do with different land classifications and/or individual management opinions. The mileage limits are not tied to acreage. A trail 1/2 mile long and 200 feet wide is considered the same as a 1/2 mile trail that is 30 feet wide.

They count the glades on the trail map and snow report so I would doubt that New York would count it for Whiteface and not Gore.

MadMadWorld

I don't think they do.

Wonder how gore got the added milage and whiteface stuck at 25.

They are both located in the Adirondack State Park correct? It doesn't make much sense to me but it's hard to find much information about this law on the interwebs.

MadMadWorld

Well Whiteface has Lake Placid right down the road so they don't need the condos and such. Gore on the other hand may. Not sure what would be needed for Infrastructure at either. They both seem fine. Terrain is a different story.

Well I guess I don't necessarily mean expansion of existing mountains. More about expansion into the mountains and terrain in that area. It's prime real estate but in this day and age I know it's just a pipe dream.