• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Observations February 27th 2013

mlctvt

Mount Snow as of 2:30PM reports 7" at the bottom , and "at least 9" at the summit. It was still snowing then.

Last edited:

Cheese

Snow reports are difficult to read. Many reporting low single digits at noon, only a few more inches before close and equal amounts overnight. Might have to get up early and read snow totals then decide where to buy a powder day ticket.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Snow reports are difficult to read. Many reporting low single digits at noon, only a few more inches before close and equal amounts overnight. Might have to get up early and read snow totals then decide where to buy a powder day ticket.

the problem I have with that strategy is that most reports don't hit the net until 7am, and I'm on the road by then. In the olden days, I would call the snow phone by 6am. Maybe that will have to be the plan.

they are also talking a bit more snow tonight and into the morning. Decisions, deciisions.

drjeff

One of my good and reliable friends at Mount Snow has been texting me today with updates from the hill- his latest update to me about 30 min ago was "almost a foot of medium density powder at the summit with 8-9" at the bottom of the Northface and still coming down at a good clip!"

He's giving me crap since i'm skiing in "only" 6-8" new at Vail right now ;-) :rolleyes: :snow:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
2" in Ashland. It is still early though, this is a long term event.

Rain in metro areas works for me. Harder for people to get motivated when it is raining...

Cheese

the problem I have with that strategy is that most reports don't hit the net until 7am, and I'm on the road by then. In the olden days, I would call the snow phone by 6am. Maybe that will have to be the plan.

they are also talking a bit more snow tonight and into the morning. Decisions, deciisions.

Well, my plan was north to avoid the rain line so I made a reservation for White River Junction tonight. When Sugarbush reported 1" at noon while NH resorts were reporting 5" I canceled that reservation. Canceling my reservation will probably guarantee that SB and MRG will get dumped on tonight.

Hopefully day tripping in NH tomorrow will still work out okay.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Rain is reported at 577' @ airport

Magic posted that they have 8" at the base and it's all snow.
Magic base is at 1150' So I can believe it's all snow.

It's 39-40F in the valley. That makes me a little nervous.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well, my plan was north to avoid the rain line so I made a reservation for White River Junction tonight. When Sugarbush reported 1" at noon while NH resorts were reporting 5" I canceled that reservation. Canceling my reservation will probably guarantee that SB and MRG will get dumped on tonight.

Hopefully day tripping in NH tomorrow will still work out okay.

Where are you going tomorrow?

Bene288

Gore says 12" and still snowing. Magic is reporting 8-10". I have vouchers for both places. I have a long night of thinking tonight..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Valley temps in the low 30's all up and down VT, NH and ME are giving me the creeps. I suspect it means sloppy crunch stuff on bottom and heaven on top. think I'll try some red wax.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Berkshire East will be closed wednesday, due to generally crappy weather. We've received some snow, some ice and a heavy wintery mix of rain and ice will soon be upon us. We prefer to preserve our excellent conditions by keeping folks off the hill today, letting the snow dry out in the wind, and opening back up tomorrow with a (hopefully) net gain of new snow...

Berkshire East We didn't close for snow, we closed because of the rain mixing with the snow. When this gets pounded on to the hill by skiers and riders it freezes hard. We make decisions all the time to preserve our great skiing. This is one of them and we are not bashful about it... And yes the snow will be there, untracked an drier than it is now, in the am