• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Offer made to buy Burke

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think NV has got some decent potential due to the fact that their location is pretty good. If they build the village there you've got skiing at NV, Powder, Snowbasin and whatever Wasatch Peaks is going to be (public or Private). You've got the Pineview Resevoir next door and I believe the Wolf Creek resort has golf for warm weather. This all within a reasonable distance from SLC airport. Decent recipe in my opinion.
WPR is Uber private and secretive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Burke and East Burke are slammed all summer with mountain bikers; it's even getting to be too much for the locals. Who ever buys Burke will inherit a big summer bike business.
The downside of the wildly successful experiment that was created by a couple locals in 1994. It has been quite busy up here for what normally is a sleepy time of year. The biggest issues stem from a lack of etiquette, on and off trail. I've seen a couple instances of people not riding single file on the roads. A little respect goes a long way.

snoseek

The downside of the wildly successful experiment that was created by a couple locals in 1994. It has been quite busy up here for what normally is a sleepy time of year. The biggest issues stem from a lack of etiquette, on and off trail. I've seen a couple instances of people not riding single file on the roads. A little respect goes a long way.
I started riding here in the mid 90s when you bought a trail map in the bike shop and that was the fee. It is busy enough now that I mostly wait until summer is over to head up there. I don't think anyone could have imagined it would blow up post 2k like it did. It has infused a lot of money into that area but yeah if you're local I could totally see that getting old real quick and if you look at the current trail map there's definitely some pushback (Darling hill is now so different). I love the place and looking forward to spending a week up this fall but things are definitely different now.

Hawk

KT is not the same now. We used to go 2 or 3 times a year since early on because we had friends that owned up there. We stayed at the Camp site on the toll road that goes to the top of the mountain. Great fun and even better ridng back then. The dispute a few year ago with the land owners removed a huge connecting piece right in the middle. Rode it last year and it is not the same. We now just go to the MRV, Hinesburg, Cady Hill and the Von Trapp area at Stowe, Perry hill in Waterbury and other places in Central VT. KT is very busy now and I can see how some local people would hate it. The businesses and the chamber of commerce don't have any issues. They are now making money where things used to be lean. I guess it is just a perspecive thing.

VTSkiBike

KT is not the same now. We used to go 2 or 3 times a year since early on because we had friends that owned up there. We stayed at the Camp site on the toll road that goes to the top of the mountain. Great fun and even better ridng back then. The dispute a few year ago with the land owners removed a huge connecting piece right in the middle. Rode it last year and it is not the same. We now just go to the MRV, Hinesburg, Cady Hill and the Von Trapp area at Stowe, Perry hill in Waterbury and other places in Central VT. KT is very busy now and I can see how some local people would hate it. The businesses and the chamber of commerce don't have any issues. They are now making money where things used to be lean. I guess it is just a perspecive thing.

The thing about KT being so crowded is that there is a wide variety of better riding at all those places you mentioned. Mountain biking as a whole has blown up around here but no other VT trail networks gets nearly as busy at KT.

crank

What we love about KT is the miles and miles of non techy trails. So many rocky rooty ones around here. Haven't been riding there since they closed off the Darling Hill trails though we went xc there winter before last.

Abominable

I've never skied Burke but as a Catamount / BEast / Bousquet passholder, would love to see it. I don't know enough about the Schaefers to say, but this would be far from their current area of ops, no? Although they do embrace the mountain biking aspect.

thetrailboss

Staff member

trackbiker

True. They shifted the burden to the taxpayers.

So, in all fairness, EVERY settlement agreement has this language.
Yes, but in nongovernment settlements the organization or the defendant has to pay the settlement. The lawmakers screw up and are negligent and, like you said, "They shifted the burden to the taxpayers."

BenedictGomez

Yes, but in nongovernment settlements the organization or the defendant has to pay the settlement. The lawmakers screw up and are negligent and, like you said, "They shifted the burden to the taxpayers."
It's good to be the one who controls the rifles & bayonets.