• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Olympic "spoilers" - The official Olympic thread!

kbroderick

Re: Olympic coverage.

kickglide said:
The network coverage amuses me as it is rather schmaltzy and bogus. It was already common knowledge that the Men's Downhill was won by a Frenchman and the American contenders were only also rans. Why can't they include that in their opening remarks instead of pumping the losers? They have the whole day to change the report.

Well, a lot of folks in the US have three choices with regard to Olympic coverage:
1. Get the results online and not be able to actually watch the competitions
2. Watch the tape-delayed competitions and pretend that they're live. Or at least not tape-delayed by quite as long as they are.
3. Watch the Eurosport webcast online

Option 2 requires steadfast avoidance of any mention of results prior to the airing of the event, and it's in NBC's best interest to encourage that option, so they'd be pretty stupid to drop results in ahead of the actual broadcast. Quite frankly, I'd rather have good live coverage that I could either watch or tape (so I'd be tape-delaying it at my discretion rather than NBC's). Since I'm stuck with a limited selection of US-based TV channels and I don't have my computer hooked up to a TV, I'm taking option 2. There is also a logistics aspect to it--by doing as much of the work as possible prior to the event, as if doing it live, they'd be able to do it during daytime rather than later at night.

So as annoyed as I am by NBC's coverage, covering events as if they haven't happened yet is not amongst my gripes.

highpeaksdrifter

haines said:
I've got a ski date with Kari Traa!

I'm psyched!

Ahh yeah, I would be too. If you're not kidding give us the details.

I see here every year at the pro mogul stop at Whiteface. Besides being a great skier and beautiful she is a really nice person, talks to her fans and takes the time to take pictures with them. I wish she won the gold.

BeanoNYC

haines said:
I've got a ski date with Kari Traa!

I'm psyched!

As my wife's first name is Kari, we're certainly routing for her. The world needs a famous Kari. (Other than Kari BeanoNYC, that is.) It doesn't hurt that she's easy to look at either. ;)

karitraa.jpg

LVNLARG

highpeaksdrifter said:
In Lake Placid you can get a Canadian channel for Olympic coverage. They show the alpine events live. They blow NBC away when it comes to sking and riding events.

For once everybody envies me 8) I would also point out NBC has imported Canadians to commentate for them... Stevie Pod was narating the moguls on NBC (not sure why they got one of the top DH'ers of all time to narate moguls but...) I'd send y'all CBC if I could....Not sure why you don't get it since how NBC has been in the idiot box here since the beginning of time... :lol: :beer:

LVNLARG

This spoiler thing was already covered...guess I shoulda asked some to sticky this at the top. In other news....I've never seen so much figure skating in all my life :angry:

LVNLARG

OK...I'm currently watching some no-name fruit from no-where fall on his ass trying to ice skate when Finland is leading the US 3-1 in the second period ?!!!?! I dunno if I'm in agreement that our coverage is better anymore..... :angry:

LVNLARG

I think somebody at CBC must have been reading this... We're getting to see the third period and the US has come back hard....including 3 goals in just 2 minutes! :beer:

trackbiker

Zand said:
Ligety got the gold!

Who? You mean there are other skiers on the U.S. team besides Bode? Wow, good thing he won, otherwise I never would have known!
NBC did have a prerecorded blurb with him. I guess they take one from everyone on the team just in case. Think that he'll get his own personal Nike web site now? Like the one at top of this page? JoinTeddy.com? :)
BTW, what does Nike have to do with skiing? Are they making boots with the swoosh now? :lol:

LVNLARG

trackbiker said:
Zand said:
Ligety got the gold!

Who? You mean there are other skiers on the U.S. team besides Bode? Wow, good thing he won, otherwise I never would have known!
NBC did have a prerecorded blurb with him. I guess they take one from everyone on the team just in case. Think that he'll get his own personal Nike web site now? Like the one at top of this page? JoinTeddy.com? :)
BTW, what does Nike have to do with skiing? Are they making boots with the swoosh now? :lol:

My current favorite ski jacket is a green nike insulator...basic and warm...unlike numorous other jackets/suits I have by Spyder, North Face ,Phenix and the like...I think that jacket likely sells for $100 and is warmer than most anything else I have that are all $1000ish.

Combined finish was the bomb! My god...I never would have though Benny would need a good sports pychologist...If you know what you're looking at you can actually see him go to pieces and his legs turn to jello due to nerves. American kid had an all out bomb run and deserved what he got :beer: Bode more than likely also deserved what he got! You can DH drunk as you're on a big wide open course and being somewhat loose and relaxed can actually help....however...if you're seeing double on a slalom course you're screwed as gates are already coming at you faster than your brain can process...twice as many would gates would be impossible and lead to...Dave Chappelle......oooooooohh...a straddle Bitches! lol

Bomb womens Hockey games today too...USA and Cananda kickin' ass! :beer: I can't believe we dropped a goal! :oops: lol

frozencorn

kbroderick said:
kickglide said:
The network coverage amuses me as it is rather schmaltzy and bogus. It was already common knowledge that the Men's Downhill was won by a Frenchman and the American contenders were only also rans. Why can't they include that in their opening remarks instead of pumping the losers? They have the whole day to change the report.

Well, a lot of folks in the US have three choices with regard to Olympic coverage:
2. Watch the tape-delayed competitions and pretend that they're live. Or at least not tape-delayed by quite as long as they are.

Option 2 requires steadfast avoidance of any mention of results prior to the airing of the event, and it's in NBC's best interest to encourage that option, so they'd be pretty stupid to drop results in ahead of the actual broadcast. Quite frankly, I'd rather have good live coverage that I could either watch or tape (so I'd be tape-delaying it at my discretion rather than NBC's). Since I'm stuck with a limited selection of US-based TV channels and I don't have my computer hooked up to a TV, I'm taking option 2. There is also a logistics aspect to it--by doing as much of the work as possible prior to the event, as if doing it live, they'd be able to do it during daytime rather than later at night.

So as annoyed as I am by NBC's coverage, covering events as if they haven't happened yet is not amongst my gripes.

Tried Option 3 and it blocks me as being from the US. So, no dice. Any other ideas of where to get live feeds? [/damned stupid stuck in the 70's NBC]

LVNLARG

frozencorn said:
kbroderick said:
kickglide said:

Tried Option 3 and it blocks me as being from the US. So, no dice. Any other ideas of where to get live feeds? [/damned stupid stuck in the 70's NBC]

Come to Canada and watch CBC in my living room. Us Canadians are well known for coming to the aid of our neighbor in crisis...911..Katrina.etc... So....we might as well open our homes to Olympic coverage victims as well :lol: I can take maybe 7 victims on the sectional....first 2 get the end recliners... with floor space for those really desperate... :beer:

frozencorn

LVNLARG said:
frozencorn said:
kbroderick said:
kickglide said:

Come to Canada and watch CBC in my living room. Us Canadians are well known for coming to the aid of our neighbor in crisis...911..Katrina.etc... So....we might as well open our homes to Olympic coverage victims as well :lol: I can take maybe 7 victims on the sectional....first 2 get the end recliners... with floor space for those really desperate... :beer:

Went to school in Burlington, VT in the early 90's and watched most of Lillehammer live on CBC. I know the true joy of which you speak of....

LVNLARG

frozencorn said:
LVNLARG said:
frozencorn said:
kbroderick said:
kickglide said:

Went to school in Burlington, VT in the early 90's and watched most of Lillehammer live on CBC. I know the true joy of which you speak of....

Being an overly gracious host I won't even complain about you drinking Budweiser or force you to watch "North of 60" re-reuns during the 1 hour a day CBC Olympic high def coverage isn't on. :lol:

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Australian Dale Begg-Smith wins the Men's moguls with a Iron Cross backflip on top and a Cork 720 on the bottom.

Toby Dawson of the U.S. finishes 3rd with a 720 mute up top and a cork 7 on the bottom.

Should be fun to watch tonight

LVNLARG

mattchuck2 said:
Australian Dale Begg-Smith wins the Men's moguls with a Iron Cross backflip on top and a Cork 720 on the bottom.

Toby Dawson of the U.S. finishes 3rd with a 720 mute up top and a cork 7 on the bottom.

Should be fun to watch tonight

He's actually Canadian. He went to Australia last year because our training program was "too intensive and cut into his free time" < his own words. He's actually a lazy as hell and came off as a complete asshole with snide Bode like comments post win by pretty much stating "look Canada...see what I did without working" :angry: