• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Olympus E510 DLSR

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
Any opinions? I'm trying to decide between the Olympus, a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, and a Nikon model. I'm gonna buy the body alone, and get a lens later. Almost all the kit lenses were crap, so if anyone has any feedback on lenses, that would be good too.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
I think the Rebel XTi is an awesome camera, comparable but less expensive than a Nikon D80. Good call on getting a top lens as the optics quality of the lens is very important and the ones that comes in a package for an extra $100 are usually not that great.

Personally I think if your going to start with one lens a 18-70mm is a good size. One lens that covers every focal length from wide angle to long telephoto is like a 18-200mm sacrifices optic quality for focal length. Both Canon and Nikon make very good lenses and even the off brands like Sigma makes some good lens.