• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Other interests/hobbies?

Greg

Staff member
Just curious. Obviously, the members here all have a passion for Northeast mountains. Aside from that, what other things interest you? For me it's spending time with my daughter & wife, computers & technology, and playing guitar. Lately, I've also been addicted to playing the PS2 game, Socom II online...

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I play as much as I work in software ... maintaining my web site, writing code, etc. Other times I play piano, sing, and occasionally compose. In the nicer weather I hop on my bike and head to the area woods trails.

Occasionally I have been known to sleep.
:)

ChileMass

Camping on the Cape, in Maine (usually Sebago) and in the White Mts (Bartlett, NH) with my family and friends. Hiking in the Whites is a passion, just wish I could get there more often than 1-2 a year. King Ravine and the RMC trails on the north side of the Whites are unbelieveable. The other thing that keeps be busy is fixing up and maintaining an old farmhouse here in Mass, which my wife and I have been renovating for 10 years. It's mostly done, but there's always something to work on, and it's a great thing. And then there's the Red Sox......

Jaytrek57

Ok....PStation...I admit it....love the GTA3 Vice City. Nice way to kill time. I'm 36 (37 New Years Day) also like Medal of Honor.

Very involved with Basketball...4-5 times a week. Like reading a great deal as well. Been recently taking up Poker (serious) and have found it to be quite challenging...hoping to do a tournament or two next year.

Keeping my equipment room (outdoor) neat and tidy...hey what can I say.

J

jlangdale

I play guitar as well, six string nylon acoustic. I play Clapton mostly. I also like to fly fish, goto movies/dinner, play with my daughter & my dog, take photographs and drive around in either my Jeep, my Corrado or my Fiat Spider convertable.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
I play guitar as well, six string nylon acoustic. I play Clapton mostly.
6 string steel for me. Mostly play Dave Matthews...

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
jlangdale said:
I play guitar as well, six string nylon acoustic. I play Clapton mostly.
6 string steel for me. Mostly play Dave Matthews...
If anyone's interested, here's a multitrack recording of me playing Jimi Thing (Dave Matthews). I will warn you that my voice sucks. Okay, you've been warned:

http://www.gregblasko.com/music/mp3s/jimi.mp3

Also, I spaz out on some of the improv leads so they're a little disturbing to listen to. Just fooling around here...

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Well, lets see now....
-There is my website and maintaining it.
-There is the Quabbin Community Band Website (which is tabbed off of my site) which I also maintain.
-There is the unofficial Pine Ridge Website (also tabbed off of my site) which I created and maintain.
-Collecting ski memorabelia
-Visiting defunct ski areas
-Ski history

In addition to that....
-I just had 6 Bb Clarinets dropped at my door for me to overhaul.
-I love being on line and browsing different sites.
-Family
-Travel (though mostly New England and by car)
-Shopping
-Crafts
-playing my clarinet and bass clarinet
-singing (though I am not nearly as talented as my brother and his daughter-currently a Soph. at the New England Conservatory)
-listening to my niece sing

And oh yes, teaching (above and beyond my job) skiing, crafts, etc.

I don't like to stay home with nothing to do and I don't like to talk on the phone.

J

jlangdale

Greg said:
Also, I spaz out on some of the improv leads so they're a little disturbing to listen to. Just fooling around here...

I've recorded myself a few times. Not brave enough to let anyone else hear! Hah.

I started playing a 12 string guitar in Guam in 91 (sounds like a sony lyric). Nylon is just too easy and sounds cool. I'm a lazy bastard. I also had a Les Paul and a Fender Strat and would love to play SRV. But my youthful days are behind me.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Hmm ... I know someone who's trying to learn to ski...
:D

edit: oddly enough, when I posted this, it was directly below teachski's hobby-of-teaching-skiing post. But looking today, it's further down and doesn't make as much sense (nor retain its humor value).

Oh, well.

Off to REI to pick myself up bc touring skis ... Merry Christmas to me!
:D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
love music. i am a DJ, have played out in a few clubs in boston. love clubbing, dancing, electronic music (some favs are autechre, general midi, momu, kraftwerk, boards of canada, fretwell, blim, proper filthy naughty, pmt, hybrid, etc). also play or have played guitar, trumpet, and various other brass horns.

obsessive reader. tolkien is my favorite fiction author (hate the movie, VERY disappointed in the vision jackson created and the slight liberities he took) and also read some salvatore and other forgotten realms authors. non-fiction has generally been topical progressive readings such as zinn, chomsky, and various other critiques on modern society and how capitolism is fux0r3d and NOT operating the way it should be. etc.

watch lots of movies. love tragic endings (american beauty, se7en, etc), anything by david fincher (fight club), lions gate films, indie flicks, etc. anything different than the typical and boring blockbuster movie. lost in translation gets my movie of the year nod so far.

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
If anyone's interested, here's a multitrack recording of me playing Jimi Thing (Dave Matthews). I will warn you that my voice sucks. Okay, you've been warned:

http://www.gregblasko.com/music/mp3s/jimi.mp3

Is it that bad..? :oops:

Max

I also play guitar, 6 string Lowden...and an ex-bluegrass banjo picker. Ride road bicycle, and tour the country with my wife on the Honda Goldwing motorcycle.

Greg

Staff member

SilentCal

I bowl four nights a week and maintain a 194 average. Still looking for a 300, have come close several times but i am in desparate need of a shotgun to blast the 10-pin on several occasions. I also belong to Big Brothers/Big Sisters and have a 'little Brother' who I am trying to get into hiking. (anything over a mile and he's had enough) I also love to read and knock off a book about every 10 days. During the summer I hike Period.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Awww, Cal, what's this 10-pin stuff? You're in Western Mass, you should be bowling candlepin! I've got about a 109 average in my league and broke 600 (for five strings) for the first time last week with a 637. It was a good Christmas present.
:)

Greg

Staff member
oldhippie said:
I've been riding motorcycles, since '73 and skiing since a long time before that.

from this post
Hey Hippie - just checked out your Website and motorcycle page. I love this pic:

http://users.net1plus.com/srl/images/steve 73.jpg

The nighthawk is cool too. I had a 1996 Nighthawk 750 for a few years. I've since sold it and entered the world of a wife and daughter. I'll probably revisit the motorcycle world again someday...