• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pass math how did everyone do?

crippity

I would like to ask. Not how many days. But how many were actually good to great ?

jaytrem

The way Vail Resorts really got me is with the $1,518 I spent on kiddie ski lessons.
Though I'm proud to say both my Vail food & bevy, and parking expenditures are each currently sitting at $0.0.00.
I kinda gave Vail some money this past weekend, I still had some Peak gift cards with a balance. Other than that, I bought lunch at Stevens. Not too bad.

Looks l like I'm at 23 days on Epic. Should be at 16 on Indy after this week. Killed it with the Michigan White Gold card. Looks like I got 20 tickets for $349. That pass is nice since you can use more than 1 a day. I did splurge on a lot of expensive day tickets this year. This is the last season my kids can get the 12 and under prices and 6th grade passports. So figure it was worth it.

Smellytele

I would like to ask. Not how many days. But how many were actually good to great ?
Well 10 of my days were in Colorado/utah and all of those were good to great. Then had 2 at Jay, a day at black of Maine, great day at Cannon and a few good days there. I would say 1/2 were good to great. All were fun.

abc

I took care of this by marrying a Vermonter, one of the few viable SOTC tactics still remaining.
I could have done the same, in Silverthrone, Co.

But it came with a pay cut that would have cost my skiing days well over $100/d.

(though that was before WFH became widely acceptable. I could now do the same without the pay cut. But I would have to also give up going to the Met Opera 10-20 times/season. Still too pricy by my standard)

BodeMiller1

I didn't pay a dime'. Couldn't find skis I wanted for under $700. Then it was too late. Also, reinjured knee. Will hit Killington in the Fall on first week and never look back.

Zermatt

Horrible. Only looks good when I add up the whole family and divide by total days skied mostly because of the very cheap Ikon Pass for a 12 year old.

My wife turned what would have been $75 day tickets at Kitzbühel into $200 per day with her Ikon Pass.

BenedictGomez

Couldn't find skis I wanted for under $700.

Much like my cars, I never buy skis unless they're used. The most I've paid for anything in the current fleet, with bindings, is $330 for my Soul 7s. Most everything else was $200 - $250. Attack the high performance demo fleet racks end of season & look for practically new skis. Those higher-end rentals also come with higher-end bindings & tend to be very lightly used at best as 95% of tourists (more?) choose the cheaper option packages & the vast majority of good skiers travel with their skis. As a bonus, being mounted on sliders means when you change your boots you don't need to have them redrilled & retapped due to BSL.

Zermatt

I think that depends on location. Buying a pair from Jackson’s demo fleet would be like marrying a whore.
When do demo skis get cheap? Tried some two weeks ago at Killington and the price to buy was higher than new skis on sale and these were far from new.

AdironRider

This year is def going to be an odd year for buying skis. Pretty much every manufacturer over ordered and is selling new skis cheap.

Even pro deal access is getting sales. My Burton code is netting an extra 10-20 percent off on top of my standard 40 off.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's not over but as we slowly approach the end, how did you do? Would you buy your pass again?
I've logged 46 days on a $700 pass. At least 2 more, possibly 6 to 8. I'm happy. Probably spent a bit more than I should of on lodging and at the bar but it's all good.
Thoughts?
So far I am at 38 days on two season passes. One is a combination pass (Alta/Bird) and the other is a full-season Twilight Pass at Brighton.

My Brighton pass was about $250.00 after multiple discounts, rewards, etc. I am at 13 days on that pass. Rack rate would have been $1,400. Add on $60 in summer lift rides, and about $75 in merch and food discounts, that comes to $1,535 in value. So that is a pretty good return.

Alta/Bird is at 25 days. 1 day was at Deer Valley that is included. That was $299.00. This pass included a free hotel night valued at $306.00. The pass also includes comp parking reservations ($25.00 per day, peak season) at Alta. I've used about $100 or so in merch and food discounts. That pass was much more expensive (obviously) at about $1,800.00. On that pass, I have $5,372.00 in value.

I'm not done yet.

crank

Not as well as usual with 19 days on my full Ikon I'm at a bit over $50 per day.

5 Alta/Bird
5 Sugarbush
1 Stratton
2 Tremblant
6 Mt Bachelor

AdironRider

Is it actually value if no person on the planet would pay for that many day tickets? They would just buy a pass , ala like you did.

djd66

Alta/Bird is at 25 days. 1 day was at Deer Valley that is included. That was $299.00. This pass included a free hotel night valued at $306.00. The pass also includes comp parking reservations ($25.00 per day, peak season) at Alta. I've used about $100 or so in merch and food discounts. That pass was much more expensive (obviously) at about $1,800.00. On that pass, I have $5,372.00 in value.

I'm not done yet.
your Alta/Bird pass cost $299? Is that a local deal?

xlr8r

I'm currently at 17 days on full Ikon, will probably get that up to 20 days, so should end up just over $50 a day

currently
4x Loon (probably 1 more day)
2x Killington (probably 1 more day)
2x Pico (probably 1 more day)
2x Stratton
2x Sugarbush
2x Snowbasin
1x Snowbird
1x Alta
1x Brighton

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is a good question. I can only think of maybe less than 10% of my days as bad. Being from Vermont I am used to bad conditions.

Bumpsis

The pass stats and cost/run is one thing, but the reality of skiing expenses is the total cost. That means lodging, meals and travel related expenses. For me, on the Ikon pass, day tripping is limited only to Loon. Everything else (Sunday River, Stratton, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush - no western/europe trip this year) involves lodging, food, gas. I didn't tally up all of this yet - season is not over yet, but all of those expenses get to be much, much bigger than cost/ski session. So, focusing on just the cost of the pass is kind of irrelevant as part of a bigger picture.

Then, if I factor the quality of the time spent skiing, as brought up by crippity, I kind of have to scratch my head. I had very few days of real quality time. Skiing on icy hardpack just really sucks.

Although, I'll re-up for the Ikon soon, I am dropping the Epic day pass (had 4 days to ski Sunapee, Wildcat) and if next year is the repetion of this season, I will probably drop the Ikon as well and limit my skiing to just a week-long trip to the Rockies or Europe and look for deals that include the ski pass/lodging for just that limited number of days.