• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Passaconaway, again

walkerd2

Date(s) Hiked: March 3rd

Trails(s) Hiked: Dicey's Mill Trail

Total Distance: 9.2 miles, 2950 feet elevation

Difficulty: Easy

Conditions: The trail had about 3-6 inches of fresh, wet snow on top of the trail. If you stayed in the middle the going wasn't bad, but if you stepped off the track you sank up to your thighs. The day started off beautifully, with the sun shining and the temps perfect, but grew cloudy and started snowing alot around 1:00.

Special Required Equipment: The usual, and snowshoes were still needed.

Trip Report: Exactly a month ago, we hiked up Passaconaway from the north, as told here. After the hike, of course, almost exactly after we started driving back to the cabin, we realized we had stopped and turned around about a hundred yards away from the summit, thinking we were at the top. So I had to go back.
I decided to try coming up the Dicey's Mill trail this time, just to get to see a different side of the mountain, and man was I happy I did. Walking through the open woods in the beginning of the trail was amazing. The sun was shining and life was good. There is also a cool echo once you get into the bowl area, and I spent awhile yelling and clapping during the walk in. Other than that the hike was pretty uneventful. I had to break trail through about 6 inches of wet snow, but the going wasn't too bad if you could stay on top of the previously beaten down trail. The only tough part of the hike was when the trail traverses upward through the bowl, and it was difficult walking across in my snowshoes, but not too bad. So I plodded up, not seeing anyone, made it to the spur path for the summit, and made sure I actually stood on the top. I checked out the views, (couldn't see anything,) then made it down in 1 hr, 45 minutes through a pretty crazy little snow storm.

What a great hike. This trail was beautiful in winter, and I had a great time. I love it.
Pictures here