• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

pedometers?!?

jstarks188

howdy,
can anyone help me, by recommending a pedometer that works! i've tried several and none of them seem to work to my expectations
cya
jack

ctenidae

Low tech pedometer: Measure your stride, and count. Of course, I'm lucky- my stride is almost exactly 1 meter, and my OCD is just right to allow me to keep up the counting when I want to. Of course, my ADD fights with the OCD, so sometimes I wind up in the middle of nowhere, and have no idea how far away I am.

On a serious note, all pedometers use the same basic technology, so you may just have to adjust settings to compensate for whatever's going wrong. It all depends on what you need it for- none of them will be 100% accurate, and I don't think any of them are intended to be. You could always go GPS.

jstarks188

howdy,
i've tried the inexpensive units and the entry level gps unit.Nothing seems to work to my expectations..maybe it's just me :wink:
oh well
it's 8-1
long live jerry
i just ordered warner theatre 78
can't wait
cya
jack

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
jstarks188 said:
howdy,
i've tried the inexpensive units and the entry level gps unit.Nothing seems to work to my expectations..maybe it's just me :wink:
I picked up a $3 pedometer at Wal-Maht this spring and I've found it works well on walks around the block where my stride is very uniform in length. When I take it hiking, the mileage can be off by as much as +/- 0.3 mile on my local 4 mile loop trail.

To calibrate the pedometer I walked a set loop of about 2 miles and let the pedometer count the steps. Then I drove the loop in the car and recorded the mileage. When I got home I coverted the mileage to inches and divided that by the number of steps. My result was a 28" stride. The mileage on the pedometer is always within +/- 0.05 mi for the walking loop. I find this method is a better measurment of my stride than walking a measured distance (say 100 feet) and counting steps. Variabilities in stride tend to even out over two miles. As always, "your mileage may vary" (YMMV).

Yes, pun intended. :D

Smitty