• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico Mountain: January 2, 2007 (With Pics!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: January 2, 2007

2006 Trip Report #: 18

Resort: Pico Mountain

Conditions: LG/FG

Weather: Partly cloudy. Temps in the 20’s.

Trip Report: Killington was luke warm in the morning. Some ice, some crowds, and not great skiing. So I decided to get into the car and see what Pico was like. Overall a very good experience, even if they CLOSED the Lower Triple (and still advertised that the runs were open….this is an old ASC trick :roll: ). There were a few folks there for the Pico Ski Club, but otherwise it was quiet. Some folks there for Telemark Tuesday as well.

Got on the Golden Express Quad and did a spin down Gold Rush to Swinger. Snowmaking was going on….I don’t think that that run really needed it…would have focused on Upper KA or something on the top myself. But here is a pic:

DSCN0073.JPG

It was in good shape. Next run was to the Summit Quad. I did probably seven runs up here. The trail was in good shape…some mini death cookies and ice in places, but not bad overall. Edgeable. Some soft snow was to be had on the sides. The views were great as well. No lines, no gapers, no problems. I took some pics here:

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0076.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

DSCN0089.JPG

DSCN0090.JPG

DSCN0094.JPG

After this I called it quits and headed to the base. Bought a travel mug and headed home. A nice afternoon all in all. I really am worried that they are NOT doing more snowmaking….but weather is looking very good next week, so I hope they get going on Pike and Upper KA. Sunset ’71 and Expressway were not even mowed this summer :blink: Hope that they get enough snow to open those runs…Sunset ’71 and Summit Glades are real fun.

C2H5OH

Pico is the reason I got myself Gyro 10 helmet in November. Last year I was skiing one of the trails to the left of summit lift and the trail had one of those "not a lot of snow cover" warning, but was open. In the worst possible place I skied into wide ice/rocks/dirt path which crossed entire trail. The fall was quite painful.
No Pico for me, thank you very much.

ozzy

you really like pico dont you. yhep, i understand why.

my guess is that they'll maybe "tough and go" snowmaking on KA or upper pike. Exibition should get some love and B slope i would say definately, just to keep the ski club happy.

we'll be there sunday as usuall.