• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PLBs and one and two way satellite messengers.

dblskifanatic

I was going to post this in the gear section but with the backcountry skiers and snowboarders here, I thought that this might be something they have given consideration of.

My wife and I have been getting into more remote hiking, climbing 14ers and when we move back to Colorado are considering getting some AT gear. Lots of places generally have poor cell service so counting on your smart phone is not a great idea. So I have been considering the Garmin InReach mini. It can Bluetooth with your smart phone and allows two way texting, sending SOS signals, getting weather information and some trail navigation. It is compact and light. it costs about $350 and requires a subscription. Seems worth it in emergency situations. In the climbing community it is referred too the most.

Have any of you considered these and what have you chosen or are interested in? Couple reviews/comparisons below.

kbroderick

I've got an older inReach (I think it's an SE), which I've been happy with. Paying for the subscription year-round is the biggest drawback, IMO, but it's not terribly expensive and one use could easily make a year's subscription worthwhile.

I've not used the SOS functionality, but I have used it to contact someone via text before a situation (stuck on an unplowed USFS road on a Sunday night) turned into an SOS situation, and that's (IMO) the beauty of the two-way satellite communications versus a simple PLB.