• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Police shoot dog (graphic video, warning)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
If you guys haven't seen this it's pretty unreal

My initial thoughts.... I feel terrible for everyone involved. I'm a huge dog lover and i just feel so bad after it gets shot.

Flip side, it did look like the dog was getting aggressive or at least instigating the situation. Not sure why they didn't have nonlethal methods (stun gun, mace, etc.) available to use.

Really ugly situation that seems to be causing massive amounts of controversy.

Story: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/video-shows-dog-shot-killed-by-police/

conwayeast

This is pretty messed up on many levels. This man was free to video as he pleased. It is not against the law to shoot film or video in a public space. Then when he was actually tried leaving they pursued him. He shouldn't have been arrested and if they were so involved with what they were supposedly there for, how come 3 officers were able to come and arrest him?

That was painful to watch.

Police state.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This is pretty messed up on many levels. This man was free to video as he pleased. It is not against the law to shoot film or video in a public space. Then when he was actually tried leaving they pursued him. He shouldn't have been arrested and if they were so involved with what they were supposedly there for, how come 3 officers were able to come and arrest him?

That was painful to watch.

Police state.

I was sort of ignoring the whole "should the cops have been giving the guy a hard time" question and focused solely on the decision to pull the trigger on the dog. I didn't want to really think about it much beyond that, the dog situation itself was bad enough.

ctenidae

I think the Hawthorne PD needs to go ahead and lawyer up. At no time, in that video, did the guy approach the officers, nor was he warned to stay away by police. No barricades were put up to indicate a safe distance. There didn't appear to be any reason for the man to be stopped, frisked, handcuffed, and taken to the car. Other bystanders who were just across the street were filming as well (obviously), and weren't deemed to be "interfering."

The police created the situation, it looks like, and took action in shooting the dog that might have been justified under other circumstances, but in this case was the result of their own unjustified actions.

/IANAL, but I'd be suing the pants off of somebody for being an ass.

Hawkshot99

Its amazing what you can make people think of a video, just by editing the video to your liking.

I read a article the other day on this somewhere on the net. The police were at the house because of a possible person with a gun.

The person who was arrested in the video, pulls up and cranks his music as loud as he can and started yelling at the police about how there were no black officers there, only white officers. (based on seeing that he already has problems with that PD this makes sence to me). The officers told him to go aay, but he kept telling them if they wanted him to go away to arrest him.(he was all to happy to stand there to get cuffed for his buddies to film....)

As far as shooting the dog. If I was a PD and had a massive dog like that running at me, that had just fought to get itself out of a car to protect its owner I would have shot it as well. I would have shot it long before those officers did to.

I love dogs, doesnt mean I want to be attacked by one....

ScottySkis

I think the Hawthorne PD needs to go ahead and lawyer up. At no time, in that video, did the guy approach the officers, nor was he warned to stay away by police. No barricades were put up to indicate a safe distance. There didn't appear to be any reason for the man to be stopped, frisked, handcuffed, and taken to the car. Other bystanders who were just across the street were filming as well (obviously), and weren't deemed to be "interfering."

The police created the situation, it looks like, and took action in shooting the dog that might have been justified under other circumstances, but in this case was the result of their own unjustified actions.

/IANAL, but I'd be suing the pants off of somebody for being an ass.

Yes this is bad, police departments have lawyers on their pay rolls for times like this.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Its amazing what you can make people think of a video, just by editing the video to your liking.

I read a article the other day on this somewhere on the net. The police were at the house because of a possible person with a gun.

The person who was arrested in the video, pulls up and cranks his music as loud as he can and started yelling at the police about how there were no black officers there, only white officers. (based on seeing that he already has problems with that PD this makes sence to me). The officers told him to go aay, but he kept telling them if they wanted him to go away to arrest him.(he was all to happy to stand there to get cuffed for his buddies to film....)

As far as shooting the dog. If I was a PD and had a massive dog like that running at me, that had just fought to get itself out of a car to protect its owner I would have shot it as well. I would have shot it long before those officers did to.

I love dogs, doesnt mean I want to be attacked by one....

I see cops that are pissed for being videotaped by a guy who they've had problems with in the past and decide to create a situation. At the 40 second mark of the video, the cops walk right by, within 30 feet of the guy, dog and loud music. If they thought his actions were disrupting their investigation, then why did they only confront the man when they were probably 100 feet down the side walk. What changed to make them go after the guy? Nothing that can be seen in the video. Perhaps the man said something? Either way, there was no reason for arrest. Insulting an officer is not a crime, which is all this guy probably did. These are bully cops over stepping their power who no longer deserve to have a badge.

Hope the guy gets paid.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
From what I see with the dog is that the cop went to grab the leash and the dog jumped and snapped at him... then he shot the dog....Its a tough situation. I would have liked to have seen mace used....I will say the dog never attacked any of them just snapped at when he reached for the leash. What a shame!

snoseek

I personally would like to see our society work towrds better ways for police to control/immobilze situations without using lethal force. I'm not ok with cops walking around that much power. It can be done.

bigbog

.........Not sure why they didn't have nonlethal methods (stun gun, mace, etc.) available to use.

Same old, same old....likewise when even a less aggressive wild animal such as a moose wanders into suburbs.... Authorities get a call from semi-hysterical neighbor who "wants something done", you often never know what's gonna happen... So much depends on personnel on duty too....

Last edited: