• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poor Man's Ski Vice

Cornhead

Brought my poor man's ski vice to work for some after hours rehab. It needed a new "boot". It works pretty good, thought about making a support to go under the front of the skis, but my skis are so stiff it isn't really an issue. It would probably relieve stress on the boot and extend rehab intervals. Clicking in and out does wear the wood over time and it gets loose. It's a tight fit now. Probably should make a tee to go just before the shovel, the bench I mount it on is longer than the one in the pics.IMG_20220210_161413380.jpgIMG_20220210_161431649.jpgIMG_20220210_161625540.jpg

pinion

Pretty slick. I like the idea of just clicking the bindings into it.

I just use a basic setup using Happy Norwegian grip blocks (Kickstarter I think... $100) and a folding table. Handles most repairs and maintenance well unless you really need to go to work on the edges, then it can be a bit unstable in the middle.

IMG_3050.jpg

Hawk

I like it. I was thinking about something like that but I need to make the attachement piece adjustable for my wifes skis also. Any Ideas?

Smellytele

I like it. I was thinking about something like that but I need to make the attachement piece adjustable for my wifes skis also. Any Ideas?
Have 2 top prices that you can swap out or have one permanent and the other linger one just screw it on when needed.
Another idea is to have dowels that you place the top pieces on

Hawk

Thats a good idea with the dowels. 2 dowels with a screw in the middle or maybe a counter sunk wing nut pocket. Thanks.

Hawk

The other thing I might add is a block up closer to the tip that supports it when scraping so it does not flex. I have something for that I think.

Cornhead

I think I might make a tee out or 2x4's to support the front of the ski. Currently on Blizzard Brahmas, they're pretty burly, the ski does flex a little while scraping wax after hot wax. I think it puts quite a bit of torque on the jig too. Easy mod.

Cliffstep, yep, basically the same idea. I was looking for some lead tape, we normally have it in our room. I ended up putting a couple layers of masking tape around the toe and heel pieces of my boots and taping my boot onto the board. I used an orbital sander to match the contours exactly. If I had lead tape, I could've been a little more exact, no chance of removing plastic from my boots.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
To keep ski brakes down while I tune I use woman's hair ties... one's I find or are given to me. Stupid to buy ski-specific fancy rubber bands. I'm really not environmentally conscious either, but holy crap... I usually pick up 2-4 a month off the ground.

gittist

or..
51RdMzj0MsL._AC_.jpg

Wintersteiger Sport Plus Ski Vise​

for about $95. These are the ones I have and they work fine. We're on social insecurity so we're both poor too! :slap:NO! You spend enough on skiing stuff!

Hawk

I already own 3 sets of vices from over the years and they are all a pain in the ass. As ski widths got larger I had to upgrade to fit my new skis. Putting the bands on the breaks every time sucks and the clamping mechanism is difficult to get right on some skis and slips. I like the idea of the ski binding working for you holding the ski steady with no fine adjustments or slipping out and automatic retraction of the brakes. I have plenty of scrap wood and I think I will cut, chisel and sand the toe peice to make it perfect.

Cornhead

I used it for the first time since replacing the top board. There was a little sideways slippage with one ski, not the other, makes me a bit nervous swapping skis, I alternate left and rights every time I ski. I wonder if the boot soles are that different. It is nice that my rig doesn't care what's attached to the bindings as far as ski width goes. It holds the ski fine for sharping the edges and hot waxing and scraping, and gets the brakes out of the way.