• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Porshe hybrid- only $845,000

legalskier

porsche_918.top.jpg

Porsche is now taking orders for the German carmaker's first publicly available hybrid sports car, the 918 Spyder.....a plug-in hybrid car powered by a 500-horsepower V8 gasoline engine and two electric motors -- one each in the front and rear axles -- that will produce at least 218 horsepower more, Porsche promises. The car's top speed will be 199 miles per hour, Porsche claims, and it will be capable of zero-to-60 acceleration in just 3.1 seconds. The 918 Spyder will also be able to drive under electric power at speeds up to 94 miles per hour, at least for "limited distances."...Porsche anticipates the 918 Spyder will get about 78 miles per gallon.***

Full story: http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/21/autos/porsche_918_hybrid_price/index.htm

Glenn

Not trying to get political, but due to CAFE standards, they have to build stuff like this. To me, it makes zero sense to have a performace brand that has anything to do with "economy".

On another unrelated note, I know a lot of the Porsche purists weren't happy with the Porsche SUV and 4 door Panamera. But both have sold really really well.

drjeff

Not trying to get political, but due to CAFE standards, they have to build stuff like this. To me, it makes zero sense to have a performace brand that has anything to do with "economy".

On another unrelated note, I know a lot of the Porsche purists weren't happy with the Porsche SUV and 4 door Panamera. But both have sold really really well.

An I'm sure you've noticed (especially when you take my Mayor's parking space ;) :lol: ) that there are quite a few Porsche Cayenne's in the parking lot at Mount Snow on many a weekend

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that they would still build this, even if they didn't have to. It's good publicity, generates interest in the brand, promotes Porsche as an innovative and technologically advanced carmaker, and tech likes this always trickles down to later models.

Glenn

An I'm sure you've noticed (especially when you take my Mayor's parking space ;) :lol: ) that there are quite a few Porsche Cayenne's in the parking lot at Mount Snow on many a weekend

Yep! That's probably where I see most of them. The big Benz SUVs are pretty popular there too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
price tag aside, that's incredible technology.

What's a Prius get? 50mpg? Probably has a top speed of 100 and takes 10 seconds to get to 60mph.

So, to see a vehicle get 78mpg and have those performance numbers is extraordinary

Maybe American's wish to have an SUV that seats 7, gets 50MPG and can pull a 5000# boat isn't too wishful thinking afterall. :lol:

SkiDork

What's a Prius get? 50mpg? Probably has a top speed of 100 and takes 10 seconds to get to 60mph.

So, to see a vehicle get 78mpg and have those performance numbers is extraordinary

Maybe American's wish to have an SUV that seats 7, gets 50MPG and can pull a 5000# boat isn't too wishful thinking afterall. :lol:

I think it gets the better mileage because you can go full electric. Prius can't do that.

Black Phantom

Al Gore's son (AGIII) was pulled over at 100 mph a few years ago in an environmentally friendly Prius.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/07/05/us-gore-arrest-idUSN0428148420070705

ctenidae

Cayenne's available in a hybrid this year. Pretty hot- similar performance, I think, to the GTS, whics is, in a word, screaming.

Unfortunately, the 6-speed is still only available in the base model. But even that's still pretty darn good.

Personally, I want the hybrid Jaguar with two turbine engines. Only $350,000

2010-Jaguar-C-X75-Concept-Studio-Front-Angle-View-610x429.jpg

powbmps

I like the fact that by ordering the $850,000 car, you are allowed to buy one of the special edition cars for another $170,000.