• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

presidentials + this July!!

T-Rex

hey there everybody.. T-Rex here.. I am so itchin to take off into the Mountains for a 3+ week excursion beginning the end of June.. my last long walk was the Long Trail in july '02 (BOHICA TRIBE). .. completed in about 25 days (10- 15 miles/day), i found the trail to be convenient, for the most part, in the way of retreiving food and supplies along the way.. Although I have hiked in and around the Presidentials, I am uncertain as to the frequency of huts, availability or proximity to food,etc. in the context of a prolonged through-hike.. also where to begin exactly?? Crawford Notch?? :) thank you for your replies and suggestions..
T-Rex BOHICA!!

pedxing

If you are looking for a 3 week excursion, you might want to start North of Crawfor Notch. I went from Grafton Notch in Maine to Norwich Vermont, sticking mostly to the AT (with a few side trips, planned and unplanned) in 13 days. At your pace on the Long Trail, the White Mountains Huts are an easy days hike from each other. They are expensive to stay in, but useful for water, shelter and some food (often they have left over baked goods on sale).

Pinkham Notch has showers, AYCE lunch and dinner and a store. Good info on the huts is at: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm Hitching is usually not too hard if you are looking for resupply, but the AMC also has a shuttle bus in the Whites. Good info on the shuttle is at: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

You might consider following the AT from somewhere in Maine, taking a diversion from the AT to do a loop in the Pemigawassett wilderness that would take you across the Bonds and then pick up the AT again later (or do a complete loop) and keep heding South.

Another alternative would be to pick up the Cohos trail after you've done the Presidentials (in this case, you might not have to start in Maine). Their official site is at: http://www.cohostrail.org

T-Rex

some more unique advice

pedxing-- great ideas.. i will certainly consider the CT although I just may begin in the WMNF and follow my goal from south to North finishing up on the CT. Looks like a part of New Hampshire and New England, for that matter, that has to be seen.. thank you tremendously for your help and sound advice.. I appreciate it.. :) what are your plans for the summer?? -T-Rex

pedxing

T.Rex - I've got three backpacking trips planned. The first two are really warm-ups. #1) A traverse of the the Kilkenny Ridge (maybe a little extra thrown in), #2 Hiking the Vermont AT north of the Maine junction, and #3) following in your footsteps and hiking the Long Trail southbound. I think I'll have three weeks to do it. If I can't finish on time, I'll probably have to head home (maybe I can squeeze in two extra days) - if I am ahead of schedule, I may keep going into Mass on the AT until my time is up.

blacknblue

So many options to consider that my head might explode! There's a lot to do in 3 weeks up there. If you want to do the AT, I would start at Glencliff, just south of Moosilauke, and hike through Maine to about Grafton Notch, or maybe all the way toward the Carrabasset Valley.
There's also plenty of exploring to do around the WMNF with the Pemi Wilderness and Sandwich Wilderness (sorta off the beaten trail).
When you get closer to narrowing down the options, let us/me know (PM or otherwise) and we can talk details.

Mike P.

Are you planning on resupplying in towns or mailing food to yourself? 3+ weeks is plenty of time to see the Whites in NH. Huts don't really offer more than snacksd during the day & breakfast & dinner to guest. Weekends almost all year & during summer vacation it would be unlikely to just walk in & get a bunk & it would be a bit pricey.

Hitching is not too bad on roads where hikers are usually found, like Route 16, 112 302 & 2.

If I had three weeks to spend in Northern New England (I've done my share of NH Whites) I'd look at heading North of Route 2 in Gorham hitting Mahoosuc(sic?) Notch & Grafton Notches, Saddleback & if time allowed the 100 Mile Wilderness. I might also look at going as far as Grafton & then heading to Baxter State Park too.