• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 01/05/14

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 01/05/2014

Resort or Ski Area:
Ragged Mountain, Danbury, NH

Conditions:
Packed Powder, Machine Groomed, chopped up powder

Trip Report:
Headed up to Ragged for the first ski trip of the season. As expected, the crowds were pretty high, got there early enough for the second lot and the lines for the 6-pack were up to 5 minutes. Conditions were as good as one can get, packed powder all around and there were several natural snow trails and glades open. Good to finally get out.

Also tried out my new Motive 88s and they were the right ski for the conditions. Can't say they had "float" (since I don't go that fast) but they were easier to maneuver on the natural snow and bumps than my Progressors. Also glad I went with the 174cm length instead of shorter.

A few pictures:

20140105_101138.jpg
ragged999.jpg
20140105_121522.jpg
20140105_122114.jpg

hammer

Were any glades open?
Saw people coming out of Rags to Riches, going into the glades near Exhibition, and going off the right side of Flying Yankee. I didn't go in but the natural snow cover on the Raggae Glades trail and Birches was great. Just a little bit of brush and no scrapes or dings.

CoolMike

I recognize the photo from the top of 'headwall'. That was the first black diamond rated trail I ever did. :cool: It was perfect because it was so short and only slightly steeper than their blue square runs. Once the monkey was off my back I started really conquering mountains.

Ragged will always be a special place for me. Last year I went there a few times mid-week and had an absolute blast.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Saw people coming out of Rags to Riches, going into the glades near Exhibition, and going off the right side of Flying Yankee. I didn't go in but the natural snow cover on the Raggae Glades trail and Birches was great. Just a little bit of brush and no scrapes or dings.

Let's hope the present weather situation doesn't destroy things.

Nice photo's btw: Blueberry Patch, Flying Yankee, Headwall, Reggae Glades.

eelskoorb

Ragged 1/5/14 still great conditions. Now the rain:(

nn
Date(s) Skied: 01/05/2014

Resort or Ski Area:
Ragged Mountain, Danbury, NH

Conditions:
Packed Powder, Machine Groomed, chopped up powder

Trip Report:
Headed up to Ragged for the first ski trip of the season. As expected, the crowds were pretty high, got there early enough for the second lot and the lines for the 6-pack were up to 5 minutes. Conditions were as good as one can get, packed powder all around and there were several natural snow trails and glades open. Good to finally get out.

Also tried out my new Motive 88s and they were the right ski for the conditions. Can't say they had "float" (since I don't go that fast) but they were easier to maneuver on the natural snow and bumps than my Progressors. Also glad I went with the 174cm length instead of shorter.

A few pictures:

View attachment 10151
View attachment 10154
View attachment 10155
View attachment 10156

hammer

Let's hope the present weather situation doesn't destroy things.

Nice photo's btw: Blueberry Patch, Flying Yankee, Headwall, Reggae Glades.
Correct trail names on all four pictures, not that I would expect any different. :wink:

Forgot to take a picture down Birches but it had lots of snow on it. Do they ever make snow on that trail or is it always natural?

eelskoorb

Yes Sunday 1/5 was awesome condition-wise. yes Glades open. Natural,ungroomed were the places to be. Birches (some freshies on edges), Reggae, and Wildside (ungroomed with GIANT whalebacks down the middle. Snow was still cold,dry hadn't 'set up' I only hope there is more to come (after this darn rain)

CoolMike

I can't believe I didn't recognized Flying Yankee! That was my favorite trail there a few years ago!

Now I've got to go back this season to refresh the memories. I hope they do the valentine's day liftopia special again this year.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Forgot to take a picture down Birches but it had lots of snow on it. Do they ever make snow on that trail or is it always natural?

I pretty sure they have made snow on Birches in the past. Usually its left ungroomed after its snows though. It bumps up well. Its cool the way that trails swoops and dives too. I usually need a break after a couple runs there. Unfortunately my idea of a break from Birches is the ungroomed side of Showboat. Speaking of which - any snowmaking going on there?

hammer

I pretty sure they have made snow on Birches in the past. Usually its left ungroomed after its snows though. It bumps up well. Its cool the way that trails swoops and dives too. I usually need a break after a couple runs there. Unfortunately my idea of a break from Birches is the ungroomed side of Showboat. Speaking of which - any snowmaking going on there?
Didn't see any active snowmaking yesterday but there be a few whales there. That man-made stuff is pretty solid, saw snowmobiles on top of the snow.