• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 12-2-12

Rikka

Rolled into the lot about 8:30AM. Fogged in and 31 degrees.
Picked up passes and we're off to the races. Hopped on the six pack and lapped blueberry to wild side a couple of times. The snow was buttery and a joy to ski on for December 2nd and my first day out. Next we headed over to Speare triple.
We lapped flying Yankee a half dozen times on the same great buttery snow, at mid mountain the fog let up for a few hundred yards and you could let'em fly. Had a quick lunch headed out for a few more runs. My legs were toast around 2:30 and called it a day.

As a new Ragged pass holder, And first time Ragged skier, I really enjoyed the day!
lets see what next weekend brings!

Rick

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

sounds great! I haven't been to Ragged in probably 15 years.. I don't think they even had two mountains back then. Really want to check out the new terrain and tree skiing up there.

speden

I didn't think it was really possible to lap Flying Yankee a half dozen times. After about three trips up on the Spear triple, I run out of patience! The snow must have been pretty good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didn't think it was really possible to lap Flying Yankee a half dozen times. After about three trips up on the Spear triple, I run out of patience! The snow must have been pretty good.

:lol:

Love Spear Mountain, can't stand that lift.

hiroto

This is really different way of opening Ragged mountain from past years.

From 6 pack, only way down is to take Blueberry patch and then go down the Wild Side park.
No way down without going through the park.

Also, Spear mountain opening at the same time as the summit is unheard of. I'm glad new snow making system is working out.

But what happened to the all the new tower guns along the exhibition? I would expected that they would prioritize that for the day 1 but that doesn't seems to be the case. Were they making snow on the exhibition at all?

soposkier

Thats what the flask is for

yeggous

Sloooow r i i i i de! Take it eeeeeasy!

For some reason I like the Spear Triple (Red Line at Magic too) when other slow fixed grip chairs bore me to tears. I will miss it when its gone.

Don't tease. Do you mean to imply that by some miracle that lift may be replaced? I can't express in words how discouraging the Spear Mountain Triple is. The Six Pack just makes it intolerable, and I love the terrain up there too.

Rikka

Sloooow r i i i i de! Take it eeeeeasy!

For some reason I like the Spear Triple (Red Line at Magic too) when other slow fixed grip chairs bore me to tears. I will miss it when its gone.

Here's my thoughts on that Spear triple. It's slow.looking a little along in the tooth. Yesterday as the temperature rose the forest to the left of the chair was very fragrant and smelled like the smell of Christmas that i remember from when I was a kid. That was very nice. I am out shape and the slower ride helps me recover. The conversation time with my son on the slow ride up is priceless for me, sharing the same passion for the sport. This chair is ok in my book.
The six pack is one fast lift.....it offered none of what the spear triple offered. It does its intended job with speed and efficiency. Meh.

rick

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Don't tease. Do you mean to imply that by some miracle that lift may be replaced? I can't express in words how discouraging the Spear Mountain Triple is. The Six Pack just makes it intolerable, and I love the terrain up there too.

This from Ragged's website. The plans have been in the works for a while actually but when it will become a reality is anybody's guess. I'm looking forward to Pinnacle expansion and Ragged becoming a true 4 season resort, although, I may not be able to afford it after that.

Danbury, NH (April 25. 2012): Today Ragged Mountain Resort gave further insight into their previously announced expansion plans. Some of the first projects will include the continuation of significant snowmaking upgrades, the replacement of the Spear Mountain lift with a new detachable high-speed lift, renovated base facilities, hotel accommodations, slopeside housing, and other recreational amenities such as tubing, a mountain coaster, ziplines and mountain biking. Perhaps of greatest significance to skiers and snowboarders is the expansion onto Ragged’s third mountain, Pinnacle Peak, which will increase the resort’s terrain by more than 30%. This past winter Ragged began to cut the primary trails off the Pinnacle Peak summit.

http://www.raggedmountainresort.com/ski_news.html?news_id=16&module_params[name]=news&module_params[action]=detail&module_params[page_title]=Ragged+Mountain+Resort+Moves+Forward+with+Development&module_params[version_id]=1

Rikka

After a season of riding the Speare Triple. I am ready for the hi speed quad!

57stevey

I could put up with the slowness if the lift were 100% reliable, but there have been too many times in the past (not sure about this season) when it was down for the day (or days) for mechanical problems. Since the Spear trails are my favs this was a big deal for me. I figure if they put in a new lift and it is "too fast" I can always go sit in front of the lodge for 10 minutes and even things out :)

xlr8r

Does anybody know if this year is the year spear gets replaced. There have rumors the past few years. Hopefully they had a good enough year financial wise to get a new lift now. It would be a game changer for the mountain. As it is now most people only do a couple runs off spear per day, but a high speed lift would distribute people evenly over both peaks.

It also might encourage Sunapee to finally upgrade sunbowl.