• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Random Beers

wtcobb

Not sure if this place has ever been mentioned in this thread, but if you're up at Burke/Cannon check out Kingdom Taproom in St. J.

http://www.kingdomtaproom.com/ontap/

Very cool bar with a great tap list, good comfort food, and good live music. The beer menu also has an "up next" list for the next keg on draft - a nice touch when planning your tastes!

HD333

That's the part that I just can't fathom, when I see reports of people leaving NYC or even Philly at say 4 in the AM, hitting a Heady release somewhere in Northern VT, then onto Hill Farmstead, a few other stops for some Sip of Sunshine and Second Fiddle acquiring before running back down to Monson to stand in line at Treehouse and then back down to NYC or Philly all in 1 day, with lots of hours in the car, lots of cash spent, and an end of the day token "check out my haul" picture posted on various beer lovers social media pages!! I fully get the draw and appeal of a GREAT beer, but when it becomes such a focal point in ones life that they literally spend the majority of a day (or sometimes multiple days) trying to seek it out (and then often doing the same thing a week or two later!!) that I just can't get!!!

Agreed that committing tons of time in search of all these Whalez is crazy. I'll go a little out of my way but waste a full day to buy beer, no way. If we are road tripping I'll see what may be around and take a detour but nothing crazy.

Here is how I get my fix:

Luckily I have an office just over the MA/CT boarder I visit from time to time. Sure I schedule those days so I can hit Treehouse, especially Wednesday's due to cans.

My other office is in the Seaport so I get to grab Trillium pretty regularly as well.

I also have family and friends in Northern VT that have a standing order to bring me a 4 pack of Heady or SOS, or other goodies anytime they come down.

I don't know how people who hoard all this beer can even drink it all. Of my latest haul of 16 cans from Treehouse I ended up giving half to friends, hopefully they will return the favor...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Being able to give it away is part of the fun. I've got some friends in Chicago getting a nice Tree House Christmas surprise.

prsboogie

Agreed that committing tons of time in search of all these Whalez is crazy. I'll go a little out of my way but waste a full day to buy beer, no way. If we are road tripping I'll see what may be around and take a detour but nothing crazy.

Here is how I get my fix:

Luckily I have an office just over the MA/CT boarder I visit from time to time. Sure I schedule those days so I can hit Treehouse, especially Wednesday's due to cans.

My other office is in the Seaport so I get to grab Trillium pretty regularly as well.

I also have family and friends in Northern VT that have a standing order to bring me a 4 pack of Heady or SOS, or other goodies anytime they come down.

I don't know how people who hoard all this beer can even drink it all. Of my latest haul of 16 cans from Treehouse I ended up giving half to friends, hopefully they will return the favor...;)

Ever run up to Night Shift Brewery? They got some real solid offerings in Everett Ma

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have heard good things about Night Shift.

Just swung into Wormtown in the nick of time. Grabbed last three 4 packs of Be Hoppy cans. Next run for cans isn't until January 11th. What I found interesting is that they don't own a canning machine; they rent it periodically. Bottles will be filled between now and then, but I prefer cans.

prsboogie

I found a 4 pack of cans tonight on a random stop, very happy. Night shift is solid, Santilli IPA is great and Wurlpool APA good too, lots of grapefruit in the APA.

deadheadskier

Staff member
4 pack of Be Hoppy or night shift? If so, where? I've bought Be Hoppy before at Austin liquors, but that's it other than the brewery

prsboogie

Be Hoppy, very hard to get in SouthEastern Ma. Most stuff is kind of hard to get around here!

JDMRoma

Decided to try some long trail cans since we can't operate the zoomer bar right now. Picked up some Space Juice and Smash project last night. Have yet to try them. Did get to try the TrippleBag though. Awesome brew although kinda pricey !! Both the TrippleBag and Spacejuice were $16.50 for a 4 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

prsboogie

Never been to the brewery but I love Whirpool, great crushable APA.

Agreed!! Try the santilli if you can, excellent!

Decided to try some long trail cans since we can't operate the zoomer bar right now. Picked up some Space Juice and Smash project last night. Have yet to try them. Did get to try the TrippleBag though. Awesome brew although kinda pricey !! Both the TrippleBag and Spacejuice were $16.50 for a 4 pack.

I have not seen a Space Juice in person, where did you find it?

JDMRoma

Agreed!! Try the santilli if you can, excellent!

A local market in Hudson NH, E&A Market they have a large variety of Micro Brews. I used the Longtrail Beer finder
its supposed to be at Ayottes Stateline market too, its not too far off route 3 in Hudson

drjeff

I have to admit, that for my palate, especially with some of the hype around Space Juice, I was a bit disappointed as I found it to be more of a malt bomb than the hop bomb that I was expecting, and the cans that I had were all consumed within 10 days of the canning date, so I wouldn't be expecting that much of a shift to the malty side in that time frame.

To each their own though, as I do have a few friends that think that Space Juice is better than Heady or Sip or Second Fiddle. That's the great thing about all the great beer options we have now in New England, there's a taste for practically every beer drinker out there!! :beer:

HD333

I thought Space Juice was overhyped. The name Space Juice had me thinking it was going to be a juice bomb like a TH or Trillium tyke IPA. Way to much malt for me.
It wasn't a bad beer just not what I was expecting.

I would love to see Long Trail break out with a nice juicy IPA, they were the guys who got me started in craft beer and I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They've got Sick Day IPA on draught at Wildcat. Not a bad beer IMO. Not top notch.

Long Trail, Catamount, Otter Creek and Magic Hat were my start as a UVM student. None of them have kept up with the times and improvements in the industry IMO. Not bad beer companies (well Magic Hat is), just not top of the food chain like they all once were.

Puck it

This is funny!!!!

Lumbersexual

HD333

They've got Sick Day IPA on draught at Wildcat. Not a bad beer IMO. Not top notch.

Long Trail, Catamount, Otter Creek and Magic Hat were my start as a UVM student. None of them have kept up with the times and improvements in the industry IMO. Not bad beer companies (well Magic Hat is), just not top of the food chain like they all once were.

Otter Creek has been the standout in that group. Cooper Ale was always a favorite back in the day.

Kind Rye is a great beer, Back Seat Berner is pretty good too.

Their collaborations with Lawson's (Double Dose) and Jacks Abbey (Joint Custody) where legit.

drjeff

I tend to agree with your assessment of those breweries DHS, the only one IMHO who is getting close to getting some of their top tier "swagger" back these days is Ottercreek, who after basically a re-branding a few years ago is doing some solid stuff, and not just basically resting on their past laurels as the others seem to be doing.

Ottercreek's Backseat Berner is my easily available go to IPA by far, and their collaborations lately with Lawson's (Their Double Dose DIPA and Double Shot Maple Barleywine) have been solid as well, and I guess the fact that Shawn Lawson has enough respect for Mike Gerhart (OC's head brewmaster) to do multiple collaborations says a bit about OC's desire and ability to progress their offerings :beer:

prsboogie

Not bad beer companies (well Magic Hat is) -
I have heard this sentiment a couple times now and I guess I've missed something. Can you elaborate this for me? Why are so many down on MH? I get the not pushing the envelope piece but it seems there is more to this. The Big Hundo was solid this summer