• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommend Hikes with hard up / easy down?

jon44

Going down is really hard on my body and some congenital joint problems I have. I'm looking for recommendations for hikes that have challenging up sections and very easy or "no" down sections.

By way of example, my favorite is Huntington's Ravine, then taking the hiker's shuttle down. An example of "easy" down is Tripyramids, where there's a nice easy ridge trail off the summit.

Any recommendations for similar situations appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply Quote Top Bottom Edit

jon44

I'm looking for something that takes between 3 and 6 hours. More vertical the better...

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Without knowing how fast you hike the recommendations could be a bit off, but here are some suggestions.

• Moosilauke via Gorge Brook (up) and Carriage Road to Snapper (down).
  • Or Moosilauke via Beaver Brook (up) and Carriage Road->Snapper (down) - requires a car spot
  • Wildcat 'D' via the Wildcat Ridge trail (up) and the ski trails (down).
  • Pierce via Crawford Path->Mizpah Cutoff->Webster Cliff trail (up) and Crawford Path (down)
  • Monroe and Eisenhower via Ammonosuc Ravine Trail->Crawford Path (up) and Edmands Path (down) - this one is probably longer than 6 hours and requires a car spot

Gnarcissaro

Ha, question...How can you have a lot of challenging up and NO down??? Besides cheating and hitchin' a ride like you said??

Maybe hike Cannon via Kinsman Ridge and hop the tram for a ride? Do they offer one-way trips is the question there, I guess.

Another thought would be Flume via Flume Slide trail, then (with a car spot at Lincoln Woods) take the Osseo Trail down. This option may go beyond 6 hours depending on your pace, though.

Last edited:

jon44

Ha, question...How can you have a lot of challenging up and NO down???

I have no shame and am willing to get down in any (biomechanically easy) way that presents itself--tram, van ride, gondola, stashed mountain bike in the woods, etc.

jon44

Thanks for great recommendations.

Just wondering if anyone can comment on hikes up Mt. Mansfield (in connection with taking Stowe's gondola down)?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Sure, you can take the Long Trail just past the last parking lot entrance on 108. Park there and take the trail up to Taft Lodge, then take the Profanity trail to the summit. I'm not sure exactly how you get back down to the upper tram station but it will involve some steep descent.

Gnarcissaro

I'm not sure exactly how you get back down to the upper tram station but it will involve some steep descent.

It would involve a .8 or so decent combining the LT south and then hopping a left on the Cliff Trail ( I believe is the name, or Gondola Tr,) which sounds steep but I've never hiked it.

And you can take the LT directly to the summit if you'd like w/o setting foot on Profanity.

Last edited:

snoseek

If you can spot a car up at a higher elevation that helps. Oh and your doing just fine wanting the up, it's still an incredible workout, don't let anyone tell you different. I would think it would be a snap to hitch down the auto road on Washington. Tourist would helpful up there I'm sure. I've hitchhiked the auto road on Mt Evans in summer to ski laps off the summit. People are usually more than happy if there's room.