• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Retro Gondi fun

Greg

Staff member
Awesome video. Gives some really cool perspective on just how massive the Loaf is.

wa-loaf

It ran until 1988, in 91 they reopened it from only the mid station up. Closed for good in 97. They tore down the mid station building in 2007.

drjeff

Feeling old now! I actually rode in that lovely gondi (atleast when they were still running the upper portion) and that was 15 years ago for me :eek:

wa-loaf

Even being a regular I didn't ride it often. There was usually a really long line for it and then it was 20+ minute ride up. It was also often closed because of the wind. I think it was it's most useful when they were only running up from the mid station in the spring. It made lapping the snowfields really easy. Now you have to make a huge lap around to get to the timberline chair.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Feeling old now! I actually rode in that lovely gondi (atleast when they were still running the upper portion) and that was 15 years ago for me :eek:

+1. Damn, I remember that. Back in the days when K2 was king and CB was the jacket to have, and the Mahres were tops.

Hey, those were my 610 COMPs!

drjeff

+1. Damn, I remember that. Back in the days when K2 was king and CB was the jacket to have, and the Mahres were tops.

Hey, those were my 610 COMPs!

I hear you Billski! I proudly hung the personally autographed picture of the Mahre brothers posing with the K2's and their Olympic Gold + Silver medals from the Slalom in the '84 Sarajevo games on the wall of my bedroom for years! And also remember how cool it felt to finally acquire my 1st CB jacket back in the early 80's :rolleyes:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I hear you Billski! I proudly hung the personally autographed picture of the Mahre brothers posing with the K2's and their Olympic Gold + Silver medals from the Slalom in the '84 Sarajevo games on the wall of my bedroom for years! And also remember how cool it felt to finally acquire my 1st CB jacket back in the early 80's :rolleyes:
Don't tell anyone, but I finally met Steve a few years ago and he autographed my NASTAR nationals race bib. I felt like a little kid meeting my hero...

drjeff

Don't tell anyone, but I finally met Steve a few years ago and he autographed my NASTAR nationals race bib. I felt like a little kid meeting my hero...

Two of my all time favorite ski moments were a) meeting Phil when I got him to autograph the poster and b) actually getting to share a chairlift ride with Tamara McKinney out at Mount Hood the summer she won the overall worldcup in the '87-'88 season! :) No need to explain your kid meeting a hero thing to me!

jerryg

Awesome video. I miss that lift a lot. I remember being like 10 and being at the bottom station before 8:00, watching the single cabin go up the line with the patrol, and waiting for an attendant to come out and place a small black placard between the two doors to the station. Being the early 80's the sign said operating to the summit, operating to mid-station, or closed due to wind. Place was never the same when the gondi came out.

moguler6

Nice, I remember riding that as a kid. Love the mogul skiing and air segments, hehehe.

Anyone have footage of the old Wildcat Gondola, that was the sketchiest lift I ever rode. The 2 person bubbles were in bad shape the when I rode them last. I remember opening a side window once and it completely fell off! Lot of them had holes in the floors too.

How about the old Killington Gondola? That was one long ride from Rt 4 to the peak and skiing the old 4-mile trail back down was my fav as a kid. Never understood why they stopped the new one at Skye peak.