• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ryder Cup

Hawkshot99

Let me start off by saying I would rather watch paint dry than watch golf.

But while making a sandwich I turned on ESPN and the Ryder was on. It is awsome to watch. The players are acting like kids and showing lots of emotion. The fans are great, not all snooty like a normal crowd. They are cheering like animals for the Americans, and booing the Europeans. Listening to the individual coments by people in the crowd after a shot is great to.:beer:

drjeff

Just wait and see if it's close on Sunday, it will be both intense and nuts at the same time. Plus, if it's like most every Ryder Cup in the last 10+ years, you'll see more LONG putts made and shots holed out from the fairway in a couple of hours than you'd typically see in about 6 months on the PGA Tour.

My guess is the the US will win pretty easily this time, if for now other reason than Tiger and the expectations of Tiger aren't there and as a result, the US team has alot less pressure on them then they usually do :flag:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Used to say the same thing. Now I am watching the swings to see how to improve my own. I do not have TV but TGC has a great online segment that recaps the big days. It is like a 40 SportsCenter just for golf. So I just catch the highlights on there. I don't think I could actually sit down and watch a full game of golf on TV.

Cool about the fans getting into it. One thing that always kept me away from the game was how snotty and proper the game is. F that. Golf needs a rivalry in the worst way rather than just domination by one player with a few notables. An across the pond rivalry is as good as any, but doesn't happen very often.

Trekchick

But while making a sandwich I turned on ESPN and the Ryder was on. It is awsome to watch. The players are acting like kids and showing lots of emotion. The fans are great, not all snooty like a normal crowd. They are cheering like animals for the Americans, and booing the Europeans. Listening to the individual coments by people in the crowd after a shot is great to.:beer:
Two years ago, I said, I'd rather watch jello set than watch golf.
Today, I'm on the edge of my chair biting my fingernails, and happy I have a tv in the bathroom so I don't miss a shot!

SkiManSB

Ryders Cup

I can't believe I'm watching it! 9:30am and I have better things to do. But you're right, it's much better than the normal televised games. Lot's of balls in the rough and sand... Much more fun that way, at least for me

I'm watching it...and I don't think golfers and golf fans are snooty..maybe at country clubs but it's mostly just regular folks..just like skiers..The last several years of Tigers domination have made golf a more mainstream sporrt with loud drunk fans..

drjeff

The matches today were great, especially the afternoon 4 ball matches. Just really high level golf being played by both sides, and without a doubt in formats like this, it's very easy to see why match play can be the best form of golf! My guess is that tommorrow the US takes the cup 15-13 with a split of the singles matches.

The matches today were great, especially the afternoon 4 ball matches. Just really high level golf being played by both sides, and without a doubt in formats like this, it's very easy to see why match play can be the best form of golf! My guess is that tommorrow the US takes the cup 15-13 with a split of the singles matches.

I'm going to be playing golf during tomorrows Ryder Cup matches..but hopefully I finish early enough to see the conclusion....go USA...

MatchPlay is the best to watch..It's a shame Tiger Woods isn't around for this...

drjeff

I'm going to be playing golf during tomorrows Ryder Cup matches..but hopefully I finish early enough to see the conclusion....go USA...

MatchPlay is the best to watch..It's a shame Tiger Woods isn't around for this...

That's exactly why I think the US will win. The lack of the pressure that's associated with the Tiger expectations. The US team I think is enjoying the underdog role it's in right now, and it's likely if Tiger was playing, they wouldn't have that role.

It would be fun though if Tiger was playing if Azinger had paired him with J.B. Holmes. The landing zones for their drives would basically start at the 350 mark!

That's exactly why I think the US will win. The lack of the pressure that's associated with the Tiger expectations. The US team I think is enjoying the underdog role it's in right now, and it's likely if Tiger was playing, they wouldn't have that role.

It would be fun though if Tiger was playing if Azinger had paired him with J.B. Holmes. The landing zones for their drives would basically start at the 350 mark!

Fo Shizzle..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not a golf fan at all, but my parents are junkies. Every time we get together they have golf on the tube if a tournament is on. I know the game, played it for several years, but not in the last five. Out of anytime I can recall watching golf in the past five years.....this afternoon the shot making was off the charts...especially hits into the green.