• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saturday Skiing: MRG vs. Smuggs

emmaurice2

I'm probably going to be in the Burlington area the first weekend in March and would be skiing Saturday. Generally I ski during the week because I really have no patience for crowds. Based on past experiences, between Mad River Glen and Smugglers Notch, which would be the better bet for Saturday skiing? Thanks!

4aprice

I would not go to MRG on a weekend due to the single chair line. That being said Smugglers will probably have lines too. Smuggs just seems to have a few more options lift wise to escape some of the masses. The skiing is great at both.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

I was just at Smuggs last Saturday, and considering the amount of snow* and it being peak season, it wasnt that bad at all. I'm going to guess the line at Madonna was about 10-12 minutes, and the line at Morse was anywhere from 1-10 minutes.

I was with the gf who is learning, and we didnt hit Sterling, but usually Madonna is the longest wait. Frankly, the runs are long enough in Vermont that I dont even mind a 10 or 12 minute wait. It's 15+ minute waits in the Poconos for 700 vert that make me not even want to ski.

*Poaching the lift line trail at Morse, there was powder up to the knees in spots, and that was before they got 10 inches Saturday night, and another 10 Tuesday.

emmaurice2

The input is appreciated! Looks like it's gonna be Smugglers, then. Kind of glad, been wanting to ski there for a long time. Skied Stowe plenty of times, just never made it around the corner to SN.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The input is appreciated! Looks like it's gonna be Smugglers, then. Kind of glad, been wanting to ski there for a long time. Skied Stowe plenty of times, just never made it around the corner to SN.
All the more reason to go to Smuggs if you have never been! Such a great mountain. You are going to get lift lines either way. I never mind the Single line unless it gets really(e.g. Telefest weekend). Smuggs lines both me more because you move so little at a time due to the way they do their lines. Plus its a different experience. I don't mind a long line for the Single and at MRG but any where else, even Smuggs, a long line feels like a drag.