• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sb 1/17

Madroch

Area skied: Sugarbush, Vermont

Date skied: January 17th, 2009 from 8:30am - 3:00pm

Surface conditions: Packed powder, windblown, man made, machine groomed, hardpacked and limited powder or some semblance thereof.

Weather: Sunny at bottom, little overcast at summit, Base temps- -10F at 8:30am, 13F at 3:00pm

Arrived, cold, but thought it would be bearable due to projected light and variable winds. But winds were up a little and the first few runs were a little frosty, but okay.

Skied Lincoln, opened with Twist to warm up, moderately bumpy, with some windblown, bare spots, some ice and some fluff. Followed with Steins, lots of windblown and some fluff, they were just starting to open the guns on the first run. Moguls were moderate and soft on steins, a couple of good lines in places on left, right was pretty firm. Mall looked pretty slick so we skipped it. Couple of quick runs down the lift line under Gatehouse express- hero snow- mandmade groomed to perfection- nicest groomed surface skiied this year. Back to twist and steins- steins now under the guns-- visibility a real issue-- fun but tough skiing with the windblown and the mandmade on top. Over to castlerock-- Middle earth scrathy with some rocks and ice, but overall quite nice- some decent bump lines. Castelrock run next- also scrathy and thin with some ice- but workable with some bumps and windblown and rocks, etc.. Skipped rumble as castlerock liftline looked real real scatchy- feared rumble might be similar- although better sheltered. Back to twist (as scratchy as it was, we enjoyed it agood bit). Over to gate house to rest the legs-- liftline (waterfall etc. again). Couple of runs. Took the North lynx up once. Twist again, I think. Than over to Heavens gate- paradise- variable again everything from ice to rocks to windblown-- but quite enjoyable. HG chair seemed to be crawling, so we didn't venture up it again. Another couople on twist, then ended the day with a couple off the Gate House-. Not a liftline anywhere until gatehouse around 2:00. They need some snow, but everything skiied quite well- just had to stay on your toes to avoid rocks, stumps and the occassional boilerplate. Not positive I got the order right for all the runs, but close.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I found the same thing on the groomers at Stowe and Jay - it didn't take too many people to scrape it all off. I'm hoping today's fluff (about 4" when I left stowe at 10am) at 17 degrees, clearly with some moisture content will be what the doctor ordered. The groomers would be great with another 12".
I'll do a Jay TR report later.