• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scratched Surfaces..

tcharron

Meh, in that case tell him to stop being such a sally- suck it up and use the ski. It doesn't matter.

Haha. Oh, he's all sort of gung hoe to be using it. I think people picked up on the wrong tone in my original question. ;-) HE'S actually not the one driving the question, I just wanted to make it look a little more shiny for his birthday and he can show off a bit. OKOKOK, so it doesn't matter, I *KNOW* that. ;-)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Haha. Oh, he's all sort of gung hoe to be using it. I think people picked up on the wrong tone in my original question. ;-) HE'S actually not the one driving the question, I just wanted to make it look a little more shiny for his birthday and he can show off a bit. OKOKOK, so it doesn't matter, I *KNOW* that. ;-)

Oh, I get it.

Well just tape a couple of $50's over the scratches then. I bet that'd make him pretty happy too.

tcharron

Tcharron, I'm curious whether Billy has actually mentioned the scratches himself, or if you're just taking the initiative? Just curious; I have kids myself who have never had brand new equipment (or brand new clothes for that matter :lol:), and I haven't ever heard them complain about scratches on the skis. That just isn't part of the coolness factor in the school ski program here.

He didn't really complain. I'm inferring the desire based on feedback while looking at skis in the ski shop. When I showed him new skis, his response was always feedback regarding the 'shiny', as well as the look and styles. I don't think that part mattered to him as much as having his own skis versus rentals, honestly. So I admit it IS me driving it more then him.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
When I was a kid and worked in a gas station we used the stuff all the time but when the car manufactures started putting on the permanent clear plastic over the paint you had to be real carefull . I bought it last time at Walmart, it's pretty cheap stuff.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
When I was a kid and worked in a gas station we used the stuff all the time but when the car manufactures started putting on the permanent clear plastic over the paint you had to be real carefull . I bought it last time at Walmart, it's pretty cheap stuff.

Yeah, def. don't use any abrasives on clear coat. Not a good idea.

ajl50

Don't use epoxy if it's a foam core ski or has foam in it. Epoxy can eat away at foam, and I believe vinylester can as well. Stick with polyester resin where a structural repair is needed, or if you just want to seal a hole and keep water out, use Elmer's.

I think that's what we had done to the gouge in the ski. Wasn't a simply epoxy resin. It was polyester.
Worked like a charm.