• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Separate skiing forums by region or state? (#3)

Should we create separate skiing forums based on region or state?

• Yes, by region.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Yes, by state.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • No. Leave it the way it is.

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have another idea (post below).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paul

I think you're taking some of the complaints too seriously. Many (mine included) are just tongue in cheek. Leave things be.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree, As a Mod, You might think it, but don't post it.

:idea:How about break it down to two sections...

Sundown

All Other Ski Areas :p

Like mentioned here before, I use the "New Posts" button.

Part of my post was to stir the pot a bit.

But I have very strong feelings about this topic...I've seen Greg split a few regions off in the past and you never hear nor see from valued posters in the main AZ site anymore.

Part of what drew me here to begin with was the overall NE scope of the place; dividing it up and making me look in more places is a negative and detracts from AZ's value.

As for my "idiot" comment, who says that Mods aren't allowed strong opinions? I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but as a Mod I look through reams of negative/aggressive/insulting posts every time I read here. And I read at least parts of every thread that gets posted. I may not be posting as much, but I take the "job" seriously. And there are more and more posts/posters that "offend" me. I'm not banning anyone though because it's a free country. So have at it, but don't stifle me.

This place is founded on the TR/ski area challenge and it's the most valuable part of the forum IMO. That would have been a better way of saying it to the sensitive folks out there.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't think it's nice to call people idiots for having a different opinion then you (especially when you're a moderator). That said who doesn't like pics and vids?

See my post below...sorry to ruffle your feathers.

There is a whole subset of folks here who don't want to see so many Sundown posts. Look at Philplug's response to my idiot post...I know he is being tongue in cheek, but alot of folks don't like the Sundown stuff. And those threads are full of pics vids. As are many other threads from other places.

So I took a leap and decided those folks must not like seeing pics or vids from other areas. Why else would they want the posts segregated by region?

The solution is to simply not read those posts. We don't need them segregated.

Last edited:

tcharron

i voted no.....(1) skiing is skiing, (2) the northeast is small enough that most people on here are probably (or should be) interested in what others from other areas have to say, and (3) contributors will either be divided by region/state or they'll all tend to gravitate to one region/state just to be in contact with everyone else.

we need more polls. i like polls. maybe a polls forum would be a good idea.

+1

tcharron

What I find interesting is despite some of the complaints about the abundance of Sundown discussions and such, here's an opportunity to tuck that stuff away in it's own place and yet many folks want to keep the structure of the forum the same. Peculiar.

It can get busy in the think of the season, but I've never really seen where the complaints are coming from.

Now, getting those BUMP skiiers outta here.. Now THERE'S a poll! :-D

Philpug

Part of my post was to stir the pot a bit.

But I have very strong feelings about this topic...I've seen Greg split a few regions off in the past and you never hear nor see from valued posters in the main AZ site anymore.

Part of what drew me here to begin with was the overall NE scope of the place; dividing it up and making me look in more places is a negative and detracts from AZ's value.

As for my "idiot" comment, who says that Mods aren't allowed strong opinions? I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but as a Mod I look through reams of negative/aggressive/insulting posts every time I read here. And I read at least parts of every thread that gets posted. I may not be posting as much, but I take the "job" seriously. And there are more and more posts/posters that "offend" me. I'm not banning anyone though because it's a free country. So have at it, but don't stifle me.

This place is founded on the TR/ski area challenge and it's the most valuable part of the forum IMO. That would have been a better way of saying it to the sensitive folks out there.

If you have strong feelings about videos and TR's, fine, start a thread on thread, but this thread was about having separate forums for regional ski areas. What part of MODERATor is difficult for you to understand? Part of the job description is to defuse pot stirrers, not be one. You might think it is a free country (don't pay your taxes or decide to rob a bank, you will see how free it is), but it is still a private forum and yes it is run within the parameters of what the owners choose. If I like or dislike videos in a TR, which again is off topic from the discussion, As the saying goes, it is better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

highpeaksdrifter

Who are these valued posters and where did they go? If they went to SKIADK let me know and I'll let them know you miss them. The only other region Greg split is SKIMRV is that where they all went?

So I took a leap and decided those folks must not like seeing pics or vids from other areas. Why else would they want the posts segregated by region?

There is nothing wrong with your use of the word segregated; however, in our society it has a negative implication, know what I mean? Sure you do that’s why you used the word in this context.

Anyways, I’ve always liked the way the PA forum has a section for each mountain in PA. That way those interested in a particular ski area can get right to the info and talk about there place of interest. They also have a general section to chat about any aspect of skiing that is not ski area specific.

Now that is clearly not what the majority wants in AZ, but just because I hold a minority opinion doesn’t make me an idiot. I like pics and vids, but if I didn't it still wouldn't make me an idoit.

You calling people names that don’t agree with you make you come off as an internet tuff guy. I’ve never thought of you like that before now.

Last edited:
Who are these valued posters and where did they go? If they went to SKIADK let me know and I'll let them know you miss them. The only other region Greg split is SKIMRV is that where they all went?

There is nothing wrong with your use of the word segregated; however, in our society it has a negative implication, know what I mean? Sure you do that’s why you used the word in this context.

Anyways, I’ve always liked the way the PA forum has a section for each mountain in PA. That way those interested in a particular ski area can get right to the info and talk about there place of interest. They also have a general section to chat about any aspect of skiing that is not ski area specific.

Now that is clearly not what the majority wants in AZ, but just because I hold a minority opinion doesn’t make me an idiot.

You calling people names that don’t agree with you make you come off as an internet tuff guy. I’ve never thought of you like that before know.

www.paskiandride.com is da bomb deezy//I ski with the CEOs on a regular basis

JimG.

Staff member
Wow, that got some attention!

Guys, I think I understand the role of a moderator quite well...and sometimes that role is to stimulate forum discussion.

I don't understand why we would want to divide the forum up into regions, but that decision ultimately rests with Greg.

I don't like that idea, and I think my posts were right on topic.

And I apologize again for tweaking anyone, especially Philplug and HPD. It's obvious you guys feel strongly about your positions too.

highpeaksdrifter

Wow, that got some attention!

Guys, I think I understand the role of a moderator quite well...and sometimes that role is to stimulate forum discussion.

I don't understand why we would want to divide the forum up into regions, but that decision ultimately rests with Greg.

I don't like that idea, and I think my posts were right on topic.

And I apologize again for tweaking anyone, especially Philplug and HPD. It's obvious you guys feel strongly about your positions too.

No need to apologize to me Jim. After thinking about it I know you where not calling me an idiot. I often think I have to be on the defensive with certain members, but you have never been one of them.

I need to take a big step back here. There’s no sense being here if I’m pissed off half the time.

Greg

Staff member
You calling people names that don’t agree with you make you come off as an internet tuff guy. I’ve never thought of you like that before now.

Whoa whoa whoa! Jim Garson, an Internet tough guy? Please. :roll: As you know, I'm friends with Jim offline, and his online and offline personality is in sync more than just about anyone, and in a way is very much like the way he skis - calculated, direct, and precise. It surprises me, Skip that you would call him that, especially since those [post="441217"]three wonderful friends[/post] of yours epitomize the internet tough guy persona. I would think that you would be able to identify one better. Calling Jim out for that general idiot comment (which was pretty benign and not directed at anyone in particular) was lame, but whatever, I'm starting to expect responses like that from you. You were just looking for a fight. Maybe your friends' ITG personas are rubbing off on you.

It's definitely mid-July.

Trekchick

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Leave it as is...breaking out areas sucks.

I like to read about other places too. And people who don't like TR's with vid and pics are idiots.
I had to go back and look to see where jimG called someone an idiot......now this is funny!

He didn't call any ONE an idiot, he was just making a point that pics and videos make TR's interesting and the added content by those who are passionate about Sundown add quality content to the site.
More so, JimG was supporting the current community vibe. :)

That being said, Philpug is right,(damn I hate saying that)....a moderator should never stir the pot or call anyone names.

That just didn't happen in the post that was being targeted.

2knees

imagine how dead this place would be if all the Sundown regulars up and left.