• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shane McConkey Memorial Site, The support site from family and friends.

Warp Daddy

I'm not saying he's right. I'm saying we're not ones to judge.

Well in a way we are to judge these activities . Because this "sport" is in the public eye is aggressively MARKETED to the public for $$$ and HAS an influence on many. Since it was put in the public domain the public has the right to opine and influence outcomes ONCE the promoters of this "sport " chose to commercialize it

dmc

I'm not saying he's right. I'm saying we're not ones to judge.

Why are you so upset about us judging him while judging us?

Judge not -- least ye be judged...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
These EXTREME sports need to be re thought to modify the risk /reward ratios .They are after all JUST an activity which IMHO add little or nothing of value to the advancement of mankind .but often influence kids to put themselves in life threatening situations for the supposed GLORY of being RAD .

Sorry i do not mean to offend ANYONE here just trying to put things in perspective
No offense at all. But I do disagree to a certain extent as what was once considered extreme is now typical average outdoor activities. Pushing the envelope should be encouraged. I think those that push the line with a family should be a bit more cautious though. Technology has allowed more and more people to push the envelope of a variety of so called "extreme" sports. Most live very fulfilling lives. Most of what most people do add little to no value to mankind, I don't see the difference between the average Joe and extreme skiers. I don't think things should be discouraged just because they don't add value to or advance mankind. In an ideal world, maybe we all would have that goal in mind. Ultimately, most people live mundane lives and doing outdoor activities is one of the few things that allow themselves to self define and feel like they are doing something amazing that bewilders them. The pursuit of bewilderment is an amazing pursuit. But I think that pursuit should be curtailed with family. One reason amongst many that I don't have a kid... I know I would sacrifice and do the right thing if I had one and I am not ready to do so.

thaller1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it comes down to just that. None of us actually KNOW what choices he actually made or whether he slowed down or not.... and judging him as a Man because of his choice is just wrong and awful. Now, had he thrown the kid off the ledge... that's different. We cheat death every day...and sometimes it gets us...now matter WHAT we do.

Give up your life for a child or give up the child for your life... his Wife knew what she was getting into also. They made the choice together... again, THEIR choice, not ours. When it comes down to it, there's a beautiful little girl in the world who wasn't 3.5 years ago. I'm sure she wouldn't appeciate anyone thinking less of her Dad as a Man for doing what he loved.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That's just a mistake, unfortunate in this case, but not a blatant disregard for risk. I know I've never had a binding refuse to release, despite stepping in and out hundreds of times.

He died because his bindings didn't release. Not because he did too short a jump, jumped too close to an obstacle, or waited too long to open his chute. It was equipment failure.
Hard to compare binding release issues on piste versus when base jumping. There are very few places in New England that a binding release issue will cause automatic death. A true "no fall" area. You are taking the context of the incident out of the equation by saying it was just an equipment failure. Regardless, I don't think the jumping itself is what some have been discussing it. At issue was the ethics of pursuing extreme sports when you have a family to support... as evidenced by the original post linking to a donation site for the guy's family.

dmc

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it comes down to just that. None of us actually KNOW what choices he actually made or whether he slowed down or not.... and judging him as a Man because of his choice is just wrong and awful. Now, had he thrown the kid off the ledge... that's different. We cheat death every day...and sometimes it gets us...now matter WHAT we do.

Give up your life for a child or give up the child for your life... his Wife knew what she was getting into also. They made the choice together... again, THEIR choice, not ours. When it comes down to it, there's a beautiful little girl in the world who wasn't 3.5 years ago. I'm sure she wouldn't appeciate anyone thinking less of her Dad as a Man for doing what he loved.

You know the guy... Tell us the real deal..

My issue is the reality of the choice is now forced upon a child.. So sad...