• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

shopping rooftop ski rack, help

hrstrat57

just bought a new 2007 subaru impreza sedan, ditching the subaru outback wagon...my first sedan in over 12 years. Unfortunately, I now need a ski rack. Narrowed it down to thule 400xt or yakima q towers systems but local ski shops want retail $$. Ol hrstrat57 hates retail $$, rather spend money on the hill.

Any AZ'rs know of good on line retailers selling new racks at a discount? Bid on a couple used racks on ebay but the closing price approaches new retail
thus I've decided to buy new...nice new car, nice new rack....

On line retailers selling thule or yakima on the www?

Help?

Also, should I spend the $60 for a fairing to reduce noise or is it a waste of cash on flash...???

the car is exceeding all expectations so far BTW...fantastic

bvibert

Staff member
I bought my yakima rack on ebay for a good price, so that was going to be my suggestion. I pieced it together and got a good deal. I didn't spend the money on the fairing, seems like a waste to me...

ctenidae

Campmor.com does some pretty good rack deals at times- about $50 cheaper than instore for the Thule Aero setup is what I got.

As for the fairing, it's hard to say- depends on the car. On my old Saab, it made a huge difference. On the new Acura, not so much (of course, it didn't fit very well on the Aero bars, so that may have something to do with it. ) I'd recommend buying it later, overall. See how it is without it, and go from there. It most likely will reduce some noise, especially if you have a sunroof.

SKIQUATTRO

i've been a Thule man for 15 yrs....love em...i had the fairing on my first Audi, however, it does limit what accessories you can but up top as the fairing attaches to 4 spots on the lead bar...i've never used the fairing after that thing got stolen....

hrstrat57

Take a look at orsdirect.com That is were I got mine and it was the cheapest at the time.

Thanks hawkshot99...done, ordered friday arrived today...amazing. $226 free shipping, yakima q towers, clips and 48" bars. About $20 better than bids I lost on ebay for used same setup..

orsdirect rocks

Thanks everybody

SKIQUATTRO

nice, you'll have it for years and you can just switch the foot pads (part that attaches to the car) to put on any cars/truck you get in the future