• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Boarding Gear, Jacket and Pants. Types, Ideas, Complaints and repair tips. What works? and What Doesn't work?

1dog

These days anyone can take off any day they prefer and submit a 'I-couldn't-work-cause-of-covid' and they get paid to boot.

Soon, we'll be just like Europe. And that's going so well across the pond.

1dog

short on help I'm sure. Shop I use had the two brothers - late 60'd early 70's and their 50-something son doing inventory.

Smellytele

LL Bean made a great tape - clear w no prep other than ABC's suggestion that its gotta be super clean. Have 4 Thermorest sleeping pads that all needed that heated up glue then patch, which does work, but the LL Bean tape was much easier and no heating up glue in boiling water.

Just back from Wachusett hike with my 12 yr old - got turned away at Monadnock - every trail head sold out - now I know why I've never been inclined to hike it. . . . ski swap at 1 PM was almost completely empty - did snag an Obermeyer for my wife - 'half price'. Sure. . . . outside had maybe 50-70 people there - low for a holiday w decent color. Summit was packed. Next time I'll drive to Whiteface or Moosilauke. Real elevation and no crowds. . . .
Here is smugglers notch this weekend…

Domeskier

Apparently. I took my skis into my local shop today for a preseason tune, only to find out they were closed for the holiday. WTF
I never got the day off until they started calling it indigenous people's day. About the same time HR discovered Juneteenth.

darent

Rainy Pass.com , they do repairs and alterations, great to deal with and fast turn around. my short legs can never find ski pants short enough

MidnightJester

Rainy Pass.com , they do repairs and alterations, great to deal with and fast turn around. my short legs can never find ski pants short enough
Thanks. From the look they appear a great company since they specialize in outdoor gear repair.
Rainypass.com

Kingslug20

Going to use them...even if it takes 2 to 3 weeks it's better than 6 months for Arcteryx.

Kingslug20

Shipped it out to rainy...
27.50 each way
7.50 insurance each way
Hopefully they can repair the zipper..that's 25.00
And a patch..that's 45.00
So if it's around 150.00 it's worth it.
800 bucks if I had to replace it now.

abc

a good tailor shop should be able to take off the entire zipper - like the fabric part that connects to the cloth of the jacket - and replace the whole thing. a tailor did this for me on a shell. only negative was the replacement zipper wasn't all techy waterproofy like the original. but it saved the jacket for another few seasons of use
That’s the key issue with tech shells.

Even I can replace a zipper. But I don’t know how to waterproof the needle holes, even if I can get my hands on waterproof zippers. So it’ll leak.

I bet there’s standard practices to mend waterproof outer wears. I would have expect a tailor to know the difference and highlight it before the repair. So you know what to expect.

kendo

Even I can replace a zipper. But I don’t know how to waterproof the needle holes, even if I can get my hands on waterproof zippers. So it’ll leak.

Use thread wax (beeswax) to fill. Also use to keep a tech zipper from binding.

Creakyknees

Approximate 10 years ago I had and issue with Patagonia ski pants. I contacted Patagonia to have the pants repaired and they told me 3 months for the repair and if I wanted a quick fix use some K-Tape.
The K-Tape worked great on the repair, it’s a self adhesive product made for tent repair. I find if you take the piece you are going to use put it the microwave for 7-9 second and heat up the adhesive it adheres to the material much better. Or even better, install the K-Tape and lightly iron it on make sure you use a bandana or some light material between the iron and K-tape. If you are going to use a square piece of K-Tape always round the corners before installing.
I also use it on my ski gloves.

MidnightJester

So I have been doing a little window shopping and trying on of some of the new Shell and Pants outer layers. Higher end shells in the $400MSRP dollar range plus seem to be lacking the mesh screens on the Arm vents and Leg vents that I have on few of my current Outerwear pieces.

Anyone else notice this on other newer Jacket or Pants shells? Not sure if just shell or a insulated version that has the Mesh screens lacking these days

Last edited:

drjeff

So I have been doing a little window shopping and trying on of some of the new Shell and Pants outer layers. Higher end shells in the $400MSRP dollar range plus seem to be lacking the mesh screens on the Arm vents and Leg vents that I have on few of my current Outerwear pieces.

Anyone else notice this on other newer Jacket or Pants shells? Not sure if just shell or a insulated version that has the Mesh screens lacking these days
Personally after having some hard shells both with and without "mesh pit zippers" my personal feeling is that the "mesh pit zippers" are more hype that functional worthiness. As when it's warm enough that you think you want them open, chances are you are wearing limited, breathable base layers underneath that get the job done fine regardless of mesh pit zipper presence or absence. And if you're out on a liquid precipitation day enjoy some hero snow, those zippers, even if the manufacturer says they're "fully sealed" are one of the higher chances of water ingress location in your hard shell.

Just my 2 cents

abc

Personally after having some hard shells both with and without "mesh pit zippers" my personal feeling is that the "mesh pit zippers" are more hype that functional worthiness. As when it's warm enough that you think you want them open, chances are you are wearing limited, breathable base layers underneath that get the job done fine regardless of mesh pit zipper presence or absence. And if you're out on a liquid precipitation day enjoy some hero snow, those zippers, even if the manufacturer says they're "fully sealed" are one of the higher chances of water ingress location in your hard shell.

Just my 2 cents
I thought the point of the pit zippers are to vent, not to keep warmth?