• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/23/2005

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, January 23, 2005, 1:10 PM - 4:40 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: POWDER, some scratchies. Sunny, cold and windy!

Trip Report: By the time I got the driveway and walks cleared and ready to hit the mountain, it was already noon. The roads were in very good shape by this point and Route 8 which makes up most of the travel mileage was clear and allowed for 60 - 65 MPH. Side roads were snowpacked, but the Cherokee and new Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts perfomed well. It took me about 55 minutes to make it to the mountain; only ten minutes longer than usual.

Got to the mountain to see it was not surprisingly tracked out. No matter, there was still plenty of powder to be had. The snow report indicated they picked up 14" which was accurate. I hit the "B" lift and took my first run down Stinger which proved to be run of the day. Nice powder in the middle with crud, bumps and some scratchy hardpack poking through. The approach to Stinger via Noreaster was slick by this point with a lot of scraped off snow. Later runs on Stinger showed skier's right was the place to be.

Second run down Gunbarrel was not overly enjoyable, especially at the top as it was basically a wind tunnel and much of the snow was blown off. Once you passed the top 1/3 the rest of the run was nice soft bumps down the center. I'm disappointed the area killed what was their signature bump run with a bunch of rails and table tops.

I took a few more runs and noticed the "A" Triple was opened. Temptor was scratchy in the center, but there was plenty of powder on it and the sides of all the trails today. Shortly before 3 PM I noticed someone that fit bvibert's description so I asked if he was him. It was and we took a run down Canyon Run along with his father. Canyon Run had a lot of nice powder and had yet to be skied off. I then took two runs with bvibert, again down Canyon and then Stinger.

After a short break for a drink we said goodbye to bvibert's father and then on to hit Gunbarrel (twice), Stinger, Temptor, and finished up on Canyon Run. It was nice to ski with a local AZer. Thanks Brian!

Not much more could be said, beyond this being a great powder day! Something a bit rare for Northwest CT...

Click HERE for pics!

bvibert

Staff member
Good report Greg, I'm glad we were able to meet up and make some turns together. After you left I made maybe 5 more runs down Canyon and Nor'Easter. Very nice day of skiing! :D

bvibert

Staff member
Nice pics too Greg. The only pic I took all day was that pic of you with your camera ;) I was too busy enjoying the snow on the way down and the conversations on the way up.

MrMagic

ahh ski sundown my old stomping grounds - nice report goos to see the MTN again sounds like you had a good day