• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - Info Request

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wouldn't hurt to ask. There would likely be a liability issue, but maybe you'd be opening the door to that possibility again. I'm not sure why it would have ceased other than waning interest.

Greg

Staff member
Based on that article, the hang-gliding thing was back in 1975. I'd imagine liability concerns have changed a bit since then...

bvibert

Staff member
It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. As mentioned above; I'd imagine that liability would be a concern.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We have not been involved with hang gliding for quite some time. It was long before I started working here. I know some people who did it here and, they said it stopped because people were always getting caught up in the trees and landing on top of the lodge.

bvibert

Staff member
We have not been involved with hang gliding for quite some time. It was long before I started working here. I know some people who did it here and, they said it stopped because people were always getting caught up in the trees and landing on top of the lodge.

Sounds like a pretty good reason to stop to me.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com

Thanks Chris. Who should I call there?

Sounds like a pretty good reason to stop to me.

Skiers used to break legs all the time. Times change. The equipment and training for both sports has improved tremendously. Likability insurance is available from the USHPA* to land owners. Strict waivers are signed by all pilots with ratings issued for beginner, novice, advanced, and master levels of proficiency . You don't have need to be certified to ski. How many times do out of control newbies hurt someone on the slopes. Have you ever heard of a bystander injured by a hang glider pilot.

*United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association

madskier6

Thanks Chris. Who should I call there?

I'm pretty sure Chris Sullivan is the Mountain Operations Manager at Sundown, so you'd probably be talking to him. I don't want to speak for him but given the response in his post, it doesn't look like he wants to open up that can of worms.