• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Tunes

SKIQUATTRO

not all Atomics are 3 degrees...my Metrons are 3:1 and Sugar Daddies are 1:1 (Pow Ski-99cm at waist)

I tune all my gear along with family and friends...just a fun hobby

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Meticulously tuned edges are overrated. ;)
+1 .... At least for those of us that avoid the groomers. Generally, my skis get tuned two months before the season starts. Maybe once during the season if I have substantial base damage. Wax and edges being perfect are not really that important when you spend most of your time skiing powder. 8) Just is not worth the money to me, I am just going to wreck the skis within two or three seasons any ways :lol:

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
+1 .... At least for those of us that avoid the groomers. Generally, my skis get tuned two months before the season starts. Maybe once during the season if I have substantial base damage. Wax and edges being perfect are not really that important when you spend most of your time skiing powder. 8) Just is not worth the money to me, I am just going to wreck the skis within two or three seasons any ways :lol:

let see i have spent maybe 100 in the last six years on tunning gear. subtract 10 or 12 cases of beer and you have free tools. i like having sharp edges. it is nice to know i can hold an edge on whatever whenever. plus i like the zen of tunning gear.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
See... my opinion is that if I really "need" to hold a really good edge and a dull edge will not suffice, that is a good sign that it is time to go home or I made a bad decision on what day to go skiing ;)

SKIQUATTRO

skiing on dull edges would be like golfing with out a grip....you spend 400-600 bucks on skis, why not keep them properly tuned??? its easy...i dont understand.......

campgottagopee

Disagree---I know for me that getting to/into some of my "spots" can be pretty wind blown, hard pack, icy so w/out a good edge would be pretty tough.

snowmonster

you really dont need to file to get you edges shap after a rock hit. course diamond stone followed by fine then a arkansas stone. then just hit it with the gummi. i file maybe once a season and i ride a lot of ice and crap.

Thanks for the tip. Actually, in my case it depends on the amount of damage. If it's your regular ding from submerged rocks, then a diamond stone is usually all I do. If it's a pretty substantial ding (usually accompanied by some sort of damage to the bases or a core shot) then the files come out after a deburring with a diamond stone. Ice or hardpack conditions only merit the diamond stone treatment.