• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Small Ski Area Come Back - New England

No one on here can talk me out of Black Mountain Maine. Does anyone know of a ski area that welcomes summer hikers (which have not monetized them)? Jay Peak is the only one I know of, it seems like the folks who own slope side from Canada like to share and they do it in a nice way. Never skied Jay, butt I want to hit Burke.
More glade development on a year by year schedule than any other mountain in the Northeast. Slow triple chair is main lift. Separate skin track up, adjacent land trust glade runs, and hike to ski trails from summit to base. What else do you want to know?

JAM614

No charge to hike in the off-season. Check out the Black & White hiking trail which spans the two peaks of Rumford Whitecap and Black Mountain.
Black Mountain of Maine is on the move. An under-stated hidden gem for woods and off-piste skiers of all ability levels.
Most recent Down Home Tour stop.
Glen&Kim.JPG

Come check out our Facebook group for more BMOM intel;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMOMbeavers

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Killington welcomes summer hikers, you can even camp in the vale parking lot.
I went to Killington to make snow in 2020, I was sitting at one of the bars with some of the snow guys and they said: "We may not open because of the plague and if we do we can cover a peak a night". My plan was to live by the old church on the right coming in from skyship, butt I didn't have a cell phone (radio) so I went to Springfield, Mass. Never skied the Berksires and I never will.

Also, all of the doors were open to the Killington properties and that was a toe saver.

The Real Thing OUT

Attachments

• Meow.png
    Meow.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

BodeMiller1

More glade development on a year by year schedule than any other mountain in the Northeast. Slow triple chair is main lift. Separate skin track up, adjacent land trust glade runs, and hike to ski trails from summit to base. What else do you want to know?
The guy who delivered propane to my at Sunday River talked up the joint (no pun intended) and I've been trying to get there since. It would seem whom ever is cutting the glades is a skierer.

BodeMiller1

No charge at all to hike, only to ride the gondola.

The one-way tickets to ride up if you want to then hike down are dirt cheap.
I never made it to the top, it's a big one. Cannon Mt used to have the same ticket up policy and then the bears ruined it." I call the big one Bittey." *

* All rights to Homer Simpson Springfield. OR. note: there is no nuclear power plant outside springfield, MA. : > |

Attachments

• Bears.jpg
    Bears.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1

BodeMiller1

What is the cheese burger and fry situation?

BodeMiller1

Another small fry -Granite Gorge Ski Area -looks to be back soon. I've driven by a few times, nice pitch, it just need reliable snowmaking.

"Between breaks of silence, bidders at Friday's foreclosure auction raised the stakes from an opening bid of $240,000 to a winning bid of $430,000 on site at the property, located along Route 9 in Roxbury. Bryan Granger, the senior vice president of Keene-based wholesale grocery company C&S Wholesale Grocers, clinched the final bid.
Granger represented Granite Gorge Partnership, LLC at the auction, which claims itself to be a local group of Keene investors with a “shared desire of returning winter and summer activities to Granite Gorge in a safe and inclusive manner,” according to a media statement Granger provided to The Sentinel."
Are you the guy who came to Bow to teach stuff about building bridges over streams???

BodeMiller1

No charge to hike in the off-season. Check out the Black & White hiking trail which spans the two peaks of Rumford Whitecap and Black Mountain.
Black Mountain of Maine is on the move. An under-stated hidden gem for woods and off-piste skiers of all ability levels.
Most recent Down Home Tour stop.
View attachment 54551

Come check out our Facebook group for more BMOM intel;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMOMbeavers
NIce link, thank you kindly...✔👍

Skiing is a very dangerous hobby, butt skiing should be fun.

That's my position and I am sticking w/ it.

JAM614

The guy who delivered propane to my at Sunday River talked up the joint (no pun intended) and I've been trying to get there since. It would seem whom ever is cutting the glades is a skierer.
Most likely an employee of Community Energy based out of Rumford, Maine :)

You could say that...the all volunteer glade crew leans on their many years of skiing AND cutting experience. Cut by skiers... for skiers. The Beavers apply sustainable cutting practices that equate to challenging and creative runs, with emphasis to snow preservation, while considering the overall health of the woods. The ski area has also been the beneficiary of a unique partnership with Granite Backcountry Alliance and other land trusts which included several years of backcountry glade development on the backside of Black Mountain and adjacent Rumford Whitecap (a well-known historic backcountry zone).

BodeMiller1

Last run pub at Black is in a tie with the bag at sugarloaf for favorite ski barin Maine
I am sold, hook line and sinker. Sugar Loaf U.S.A. (yea I know they dropped the U.S.A.) The Bag is a paradise, Butt, for over all food place: Killington Shushi Yoshi, Sunday River Brew Pub (and Suds). When your beat like a red headed step person all food and beer are equal, butt some are more equal than others. I'll throw in Flannigan's South ender (just North of Bow Mobil) Junction of I93 and I89. Great food for the price.

Butt, Truents (spelling) Off I93 go under the overpass (Clarks Trained Bears) and it's on the corner best Pub food in the North. Never a bad meal and they have the same employees year after year....