• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggler's Notch - 1/13/10

zinger3000

Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, January 13

Resort or Ski Area: Smuggler's Notch

Conditions: Packed Powder.

Trip Report: Used the second of my 3 passes from the Price Chopper Ski Any 3 Big Mountain Passbook, and Smuggler's Notch was the only one I had never been to before, so it was a no-brainer where to go today. Left Albany, NY at 4:00 for the long drive to northern Vermont, but it was sure worth the long drive. I must have timed things pretty well, because I made it to the Village Lift at 8:31. Did about 1½ hours of warm-up runs on Morse Mountain. Had the Morse Highlands area all to myself. Around 10:00, I ventured over to the Madonna lift for a bunch of blue-trail runs there (sorry, black diamonds are above my ability level), and then over to Sterling for a few runs there before heading back to the village area for lunch. After lunch, I went back over to the Sterling Lift for some more runs over there, then a few more on Madonna Mt before heading back to Morse Mountain for about 50 minutes worth of cool-down runs. I took the last lift up and finished at 4:07.

The trails were very nicely groomed upon my arrival. Lots of corduroy. The trails were still holding up quite well by the end of the day.

Overall I had a great time. I only do green and blue trails and prefer groomed trails (I know, I'm a wuss), but Smugg's variety of trails kept me entertained all day. Most people seemed to arrive around 9:30 or 10:00, and it seemed like there was a decent-sized crowd on the trails, but I pretty much skied right onto the lifts each time.

My favorite runs:
Upper Chillicoot - Link - Lower Liftline
Upper/Lower Rumrunner

My only complaint is that the lifts were too slow. (The upside to slower lifts is that the trails are less crowded.)

I would probably go back if I received some sort of discount like I did this time. It would probably be mid-week, non-holiday, as I'm sure a big VT resort like this draws large crowds on weekends. However, a day-trip of 3:45 driving time each way can be a lot to handle.

Last edited: