• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs 3/18, Jay 3/19

NYDrew

Smuggs
Conditions: Hard Pack and Slick

Nice Day to ski but was so overdressed. Took like 7 runs and went home because the winds shut down M1. Secret locals spot of the day: Lower FIS. With M2 running and FIS being way, way, way off the beaten trail via a traverse and the sun beating on the snow over there it became this oasis of awesomeness where you could just open up some hard G GS turns with not another soul in sight. Short but oh so sweet.

Jay
Conditions: Bullet proof glaze
Again a wonderful day to ski with temps in the upper 30's. Crowds were brutal, looked like killington and the crowds themselves were a perfect storm of Mass, NY, NJ and Ct as seen on the license plates in the lot. a-holes skiing totally out of control (sorry everyone, I used to be one of them too, but pick your worst neighbor and they were at Jay today with his even bigger a-hole cousin). Can Am was totally awesome, slick but awesome. Turn in the loose powder scrapings or you were going down. As you approached the lower section onto goat run there was a short patch of perfect moguls, soft as pillows to play in. Haynes, rt side was nice soft corn, jet was, well, the jet and lift line off the red chair had a perfect line in the moguls you all dream of. only one line but it was for the perfect rhythm. All in all, Jay was an experts only mountain today if you wanted to walk away in one piece.

TheBEast

Interesting to hear about the crowds up at Jay today. Headed there Thurs-Sun next week. Not sure how all this wacky weather is going to leave it up there. Hopefully this cool down the beginning of the week doesn't last long so we can have some soft snow in the woods.

skijay

I wished the lifts were running like today with the snow conditions and temperature, without the wind holds on Friday! I was going to head over for a few hours today but figured after the wet snow + the drop in overnight temperatures would = the boilerplate today.

At least you did not comment on the Florida plate!

4aprice

Jay
Conditions: Bullet proof glaze
Again a wonderful day to ski with temps in the upper 30's. Crowds were brutal, looked like killington and the crowds themselves were a perfect storm of Mass, NY, NJ and Ct as seen on the license plates in the lot. a-holes skiing totally out of control (sorry everyone, I used to be one of them too, but pick your worst neighbor and they were at Jay today with his even bigger a-hole cousin). Can Am was totally awesome, slick but awesome. Turn in the loose powder scrapings or you were going down. As you approached the lower section onto goat run there was a short patch of perfect moguls, soft as pillows to play in. Haynes, rt side was nice soft corn, jet was, well, the jet and lift line off the red chair had a perfect line in the moguls you all dream of. only one line but it was for the perfect rhythm. All in all, Jay was an experts only mountain today if you wanted to walk away in one piece.

Crowds? I was there Saturday and I didn't think it was bad. Maybe I've just been in PA too long. I hit the Tram twice and only waited 1 car. Jet and Bonaventure maybe 3 minutes tops. Got on Freezer quickly too. Agree the conditions were for the most part hard but we found some softening on the Bonaventure side in the bumps off of Can Am and Powerline in the afternoon. Weather was incredible for Jay. Great day with the camera.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

TheBEast

Thanks for the perspective Alex! 1 car wait for the tram is nothing. Getting worried my trip 3/24-27 will be one slick glaze. Snow today should help. Hopefully either A) they get hammered with upslope this week or B) temps and sun warm things up, cause otherwise my liver might not recover.....

JPskier

I was there for Friday-Sunday and though things were hard in the mornings with the sun if you stuck to slopes under the Bonaventure like Vertigo, Deliverance, and Canyon Land the conditions were great from about 11am till about 3. Other than that there was a lot of hard pack and ice going on. As for the crowds they were not bad especially in the woods and if you stay away from the tram. The worst waits we had all weekend were right around the 10am point when everyone starts coming out to ski.

NYDrew

yeah, I didn't have the right skis for the woods so I didn't go to deep that day, but I found them to be rock hard also.

As far as crowds, I was putting them on Jay standards...and by that standard the mountain was packed. Again, add to it that most of the people couldn't ski..but thought they could..made it for a dangerous place to be.