• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow damage from recent warm up.

skiking4

You think a mountain like Hunter can power up the guns and have similar conditions to last weekend by Superbowl Sunday? There's hopefully a little natural help Saturday night into Sunday. I didn't get to make it up last weekend under those manmade "God" conditions and would love to get some turns this weekend other than trashy Thunder Ridge.

4aprice

CBK in the Pocono's fared ok. Couple of trails closed today for icy conditions but snowmaking resumes tonight and it should be back to normal by the end of the weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

zyk

Hunter had good coverage today. Conditions were... interesting. The snow on Cliff was all pocked and looked like the surface of the moon. West side was on wind hold so I don't know what the coverage looked like.

Bene288

I don't think it's a shock, I was thinking Belleayre on Sunday, there's a chance of snow in the Cats for the next 4 days or so. That combined with the all out snow making assault, it may be B grade conditions. If the Pats aren't in the game I don't care, I'd rather go skiing.

Bumpsis

I'm curious as to what grooming crews can really do with a trail that's frozen solid? Even if the surface is broken up, you end up with the chunky crap and death cookies of various sizes.
Aside from some serious snowmaking to coverup the ice or better yet, a good snowfall, I'm rather pessimistic about the quality of conditions this coming weekend.
I'm definitely hiking. This should be a good workout for my stabilicers :)

abc

I'm watching this thread closely. I would like to take advantage of the uncrowded slope on Superbowl Sunday. But only if there's decent condition.

skisheep

I'll be at Hunter on sunday, hoping it will be back to normal by then. My guess is they will be in decent shape, they seem to have avoided the worst of the weather and their snowmaking is second to none.

-skisheep

puckoach

Looking forward to trip reports following Saturday sking. I'm expecting snow crews will be working overtime, and there is some snow due for Sunday and Tuesday.

The two days of temps, humidity, and rain killed us in the outdoor "artificial" ice rink business. We lost 3 inches of ice from 9pm to 9am on Wed/Thurs overnite. We will be open today, but not sure how many of the others in biz will make it.

steamboat1

We went from about a foot of snow outside my house in VT. to nothing Wed. into Thurs. Only snow left is where the plow pushed the snow to clear the driveway. It had snowed about 6" at my house Mon. My house is in the valley but they lost a considerable amount in the mountains also. In fact it was warmer on the mountain Wed. then in the valley due to inversion. When I left my house Wed. morning it was 38 degrees & in the short drive to go over Sherburne pass it went from 38 degrees to 50 degrees at the top of the pass at 8:30am. It was 48 degrees in the K parking lot when I left Wed. at about 3:30pm.

Huck_It_Baby

16 degrees and snowing lightly here North of Burlington right now.

I'll be out skiing this weekend and will report back on conditions.

bostonskigirl

A group of us are staying at Mount Washington Hotel this weekend. Hopefully, the skiing at Bretton Woods will be good!

bostonskigirl

Looking forward to the Sugarloaf ski trip (Alpine Zone Summit 4.0) next weekend, Feb. 8th! Hopefully that will give time for more snow!

holmes

Hunter today was OK.

They did some grooming and laid out the snow making pretty well. They know what they're doing.

West side was open but the groomers didn't work claires run so I booked off of there. F lift was closed and the top by the six pack was a bit miserable...no lines getting on, but they were staggering off and racing down the main runs. An odd mix of rally strong fast skiiers mixed with low intermediates... In short, a disaster waiting to happen. Left about 11:00.

If the weather stays cold they will have it back together this weekend.

skisheep

Hunter today was OK.

They did some grooming and laid out the snow making pretty well. They know what they're doing.

West side was open but the groomers didn't work claires run so I booked off of there. F lift was closed and the top by the six pack was a bit miserable...no lines getting on, but they were staggering off and racing down the main runs. An odd mix of rally strong fast skiiers mixed with low intermediates... In short, a disaster waiting to happen. Left about 11:00.

If the weather stays cold they will have it back together this weekend.

Cool, it's supposed to be cold tomorrow and through the weekend into next week so they should get back together relatively quickly. What were they making snow on?

-skisheep

Puck it

I heard from a friend that skied Cannon today. He had one word to say "Gross!". Looks like I am not driving tomorrow.