• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird UT 1/1/08

tirolerpeter

The day dawned bright and sunny and the wife said: "Why don't you go skiing? Isn't that why we moved here?" I took care of a short "Honey Do List," tossed my gear into the car and headed out. I got a late ("retiree") start and decided to stop at Snowbird around 11:45. I got to park in what a cop said was the "health club" parking lot since all other areas were filled. I hiked across the road and dropped down to the Wilbere lift. I then went over to the Peruvian lift which had no line (I saw no point in bucking the Tram crowd.) and took the tunnel into Mineral Basin. As I came out of the tunnel I was greeted by bright sunshine, and virtually no people. I alternated skiing the Mineral Basin Express and the Baldy Express for a couple of hours. There was still plenty of soft virtually untracked snow in the Basin. Around 2:30 I dropped back out by Little Cloud and skied down to the Mid Gad Restaurant for a Cutthroat Pale Ale. I met a couple of "locals" and joined them in lapping Little Cloud and enjoying the soft snow in the afternoon sunshine. By 3:45 I decided I was done and headed back to my car near the base of Wilbere. Unfortunately, I had to alternately stop, or creep in first gear all the way down the Mountain road. A Civic with CA plates had ass-ended an SUV nearly at the base of the canyon and all the traffic had to work around them. Since traffic was creeping I got a chance to call my former east-coast ski/travel buddy Bobby and describe in detail what I had enjoyed on this "blue sky" day. He, his wife, and her 10 year old son are looking to come west later this month. We look forward to hosting them in our home in Draper.