• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboard Ban???

How do you feel about a "snowboard ban?"

• Love it. I'd like to see more places take MRG's lead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it. I board and there's nothing wrong with us...

• It's not feasible in today's ski/ride market.

• Ban everyone! I'm building my own area!

• What's a snowboard? What's Mad River Glen?

• Other (elaborate)

• Total voters

dmc

mergs said:
I'd like to see a snowbard only area. Perhaps Stowe. 8) :D

Then I won't be able to enjoy the place with my friends.... My crew has a pretty even ratio of boarders,skiers and telemarkers...

skijay

You know I had what I thought to be a good idea by making the lower area of Haystack a terrain park (notice I did not say boarders or skiers only).

There are two lifts (T & double), snow making, lodge, and parking. Just add some lights.

I guess that will never happen now. :cry:

dmc

Thank you...
That was really well said..
Really.. Except for the "dance floor" part :)

This is a person who "gets it"...

Great observation bout snowboards being able to recover from big falls.... I always say that fallng is part of my technique ;)

Thanks again...

uphillklimber said:
Just some observations. Nothing prettier than a boarder who can carve the mountain up. I enjoy watching them more than skiiers who do the same. Then there is nothing prettier on the bumps than a skiier who can do them, I mean really do them. We have seen some pretty impressive boarders there also. Alot of hip action on their part, which makes it all the more impressive. I'll bet they can cut a dance floor up pretty good also.

I have to agree with an earlier post, where a skiier who loses it is wondering WTF just happened, while a boarder will say woow dude, didja just see that??? My own kids are like that. What is really impressive is how they will often lose it and continue rolling, right back up and into the go position. Just try recovering like that on skiis!!!!

Which makes me believe that leads to somewhat more reckless skiing, er boarding, being that they can recover from much more spectacular wipeouts than can a skiier. And everyone likes to live on the edge of their ability, to some extent.

The only thing that irritates me is out of control or reckless patrons, whatever toys they are wearing. Let me clarify the out of control statement. We have all gone out of control at some point. It's a natural progression. Do we stay out of control, or regain the control, or sit down and stop to regain the control. I have seen some who continue out of control, just barely making it down the hill, while shooing others away and terrorizing others by the close calls. This I call reckless. The out of control person who does nothing to regain good control, endangering themselves or others.

While, in all honesty, the ones who have caused us the most grief are snowboarders, 3:1, we describe the person who endangered us as that ______ over there, describing them by the gear they ride, and the color jacket they have ( such as the red skiier over there). Interestingly, we have never been endangered by telemarkers,or planker skiiers (perhaps due to the relatively few numbers of them, and the dedication to the sport they have). We have been by skate skiiers though, as few of them as there are. I will clearly voice my contempt to this individual at every opportunity, providing I can safely do so, or catch up to him/her.

Everyone knows the responsibilty code, as far as the downhill person having the right of way, yet many forget the look over your shoulder part of the equation when starting out, and the stopping where it is safe to do so and being able to be seen there. That and passing with in 6 feet of me at very high speeds is what really gets my goat. We are pretty decent skiiers who ski very predictably.

swade2469

Why is it that some skiiers remind me of bikers - the ones with the tight spandex, goofy ass outfits and really snooty attitudes. Boarders might be different, but at least we don't have Chairlifts up our ass.

mergs

uphillklimber said:
Just some observations. Nothing prettier than a boarder who can carve the mountain up. I enjoy watching them more than skiiers who do the same. Then there is nothing prettier on the bumps than a skiier who can do them, I mean really do them. We have seen some pretty impressive boarders there also. Alot of hip action on their part, which makes it all the more impressive. I'll bet they can cut a dance floor up pretty good also.

I have to agree with an earlier post, where a skiier who loses it is wondering WTF just happened, while a boarder will say woow dude, didja just see that??? My own kids are like that. What is really impressive is how they will often lose it and continue rolling, right back up and into the go position. Just try recovering like that on skiis!!!!

Which makes me believe that leads to somewhat more reckless skiing, er boarding, being that they can recover from much more spectacular wipeouts than can a skiier. And everyone likes to live on the edge of their ability, to some extent.

The only thing that irritates me is out of control or reckless patrons, whatever toys they are wearing. Let me clarify the out of control statement. We have all gone out of control at some point. It's a natural progression. Do we stay out of control, or regain the control, or sit down and stop to regain the control. I have seen some who continue out of control, just barely making it down the hill, while shooing others away and terrorizing others by the close calls. This I call reckless. The out of control person who does nothing to regain good control, endangering themselves or others.

While, in all honesty, the ones who have caused us the most grief are snowboarders, 3:1, we describe the person who endangered us as that ______ over there, describing them by the gear they ride, and the color jacket they have ( such as the red skiier over there). Interestingly, we have never been endangered by telemarkers,or planker skiiers (perhaps due to the relatively few numbers of them, and the dedication to the sport they have). We have been by skate skiiers though, as few of them as there are. I will clearly voice my contempt to this individual at every opportunity, providing I can safely do so, or catch up to him/her.

Everyone knows the responsibilty code, as far as the downhill person having the right of way, yet many forget the look over your shoulder part of the equation when starting out, and the stopping where it is safe to do so and being able to be seen there. That and passing with in 6 feet of me at very high speeds is what really gets my goat. We are pretty decent skiiers who ski very predictably.

Well said... honestly there are dangerous *people* on the mtn, period. Some are skiiers some are riders. In my experience, I've seen the mix 50/50 but then again my perspective if different, I'm strapped onto a board. But if you say 3:1, I believe you.

I will say this about something you alluded to: the dreaded *blind spot*. 2 BIG problems here: a lot of newbie snowboarders don't give a fock or know any better about checking their backside. If they fail to do that and they collide with another person, imo oits the snowboarders fault, he f-ed up I believe.

2nd problem: many skiiers don't realize there is a blind spot on a snowbarder, and just ski right up behind without saying a word. Skiers, if you see a rider not checking his backside before he goes heelside and turns across the fall line, beware him! Dange Will Robinson. Riders, if you don't check your blind spot, start. Also, riders and skieers its always good to give a little polite, "hey brotha, coming up on your blind spot". Believe me it helps.

It all about understanding each other now, isnt it? :D

That's all for now. :)

p.s. skiiers and riders in the bumps when they know how, both look damn impressive. to me a flowy chick on a board, or even on tele's is the best. :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
swade2469 said:
Why is it that some skiiers remind me of bikers - the ones with the tight spandex, goofy ass outfits and really snooty attitudes. Boarders might be different, but at least we don't have Chairlifts up our ass.

um, I think an equally compelling arguement could be made for snowboarders who have a bad attitude as well. I do both, though I ski far more than I board simply because I enjoy it more and feel that skis are a better vehicle for riding an entire mountain than a snowboard.

For every stuck up skier with a chairlift up there ass, there is a punk ass snowboarder who thinks that their 'cooler' than a skier just because they board and sport an attitude about it.

The fence swings both ways...

dmc

deadheadskier said:
um, I think an equally compelling arguement could be made for snowboarders who have a bad attitude as well. I do both, though I ski far more than I board simply because I enjoy it more and feel that skis are a better vehicle for riding an entire mountain than a snowboard.

For every stuck up skier with a chairlift up there ass, there is a punk ass snowboarder who thinks that their 'cooler' than a skier just because they board and sport an attitude about it.

The fence swings both ways...

Even I knew that guys response was trolling and you played right into it...
wow..

dmc

uphillklimber said:
The snowboarders blind spot. That is a good point. Snowboarders are strapped in 90 degrees to their gear, while skiiers are straight out. That makes the back side a bit tough to see. Need a very flexible neck.

Two things to that point...
I tend to ride with my back to the trailside - so I have a view of the entire trail... Still looking straight dwon the falline of course.

Also - when I snowboard I can look BACK UP the hill before "changing lanes"... When I telemark or ski it frustrates me that I can't look back up the hill...

So I would argue that skiers - based on my experieince - have a bad blind spot too...

dmc

uphillklimber said:
DMC wrote
So I would argue that skiers - based on my experieince - have a bad blind spot too...

Just bear in mind, we ain't arguing:

I meant argue in a debate sense...

:)