• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking: Wed/Thurs Nights?!

Greg

Staff member
Based on the forecast, I would venture to guess that we'll see a fair amount of snowmaking commence possibly overnight Wednesday, and more likely overnight Thursday. It's coming folks!

Angus

not to put a damper on things, but just read this...from http://www.mattnoyes.net/

By early next week, the jet stream pattern will undergo a major shift - in this case called a "retrogression" where the cool dip in the jet stream winds aloft moves westward. The result will be a warmer than normal pattern - at least on average - that may last through the first half of November.

Zand

not to put a damper on things, but just read this...from http://www.mattnoyes.net/

By early next week, the jet stream pattern will undergo a major shift - in this case called a "retrogression" where the cool dip in the jet stream winds aloft moves westward. The result will be a warmer than normal pattern - at least on average - that may last through the first half of November.

Looks like during that period, the cold air will pool up in Canada and unleash in late November.... could make for an interesting December.

Vortex

I had a beer with Tim at Reggae a few years back. A real gentleman. I had a few picures taken not for public posting. I have one up in my condo. Took the time to talk a bit. He took alot of pride that folks watched the ski forecast at 10pm. Many times we have had discussions on the best ski weather guys. Matt and Tim are always in them. Russ from the River is pretty cool as well. Takes time to post on the River's board.

Joshua

I was in the same Meteorology program at Cornell with Matt, he was 2 years ahead of me, he knows his Sh**T

Cornell has one of the top ranked weather programs in the country

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
that is kind of unfair andyzee, considering they didn't predict weather three weeks out as in the same forecast as a next day forecast. it was an indication of a trend and pattern in the bigger picture. they are usually very much more acuracte with that than a forecast a few days out... it is really apples and oranges looking at specific day forecasts vs. short range trends.

klrskiah

Russ used to be on ch8 in portland i dont know what happened. BTW the long range/10 day forcast changed significantly (for the better) since yesterday so i wouldn't hold my breath on any forcast over 5 days out, especially in fall, in new england!

THINK SNOW

Greg

Staff member
Looks like maybe 2-5 inches of snow at killington especially at the higher elevations with some ice accumulation mixed in possible. After that the temperatures look amazing for snowmaking! I don't mind an icy accumulation, when it will serve as a base for snowmaking!

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/Ma...lat=43.182917&smap=1&mp=1&map.x=133&map.y=102

Nice! And that icey base will freeze right up right before 3-4 days of round-the-clock snowmaking temps! Even the Monday and Tuesday highs of 33 look okay for snowmaking at night!

TwinTips21

Even with all these days of cold temperatures, if Killington does open for the 10th or 11th and it remains warm, do you think the snow will be worth the 5 hour trip. I guess this is just another time will tell and everything is dependent upon the weather question.