• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowy winter on the way?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm watching a Connecticut Channel 3 special news program right now on winter weather. They're thinking it will be a snowy winter. I guess the Farmer's Almanac says more snow than usual this year. Heavy periods of snow in early December and late January, with other periods in late December and (I zoned out for the "and" ... sorry!). And they looked at past trends and found that the winter of 1995-1996 was preceded with a similar weather pattern as this year (tons of hurricanes), and that was an extremely snowy winter here. I think he said 115 inches of snow at Windsor Locks that winter?

What do you think?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i think anything can happen and i don't look too far ahead with regards to weather. most long range forecasts are generally hype or complete bunk. the good long range forecasters are usually the most vague as well, so the best long range i have heard is colder in more snow early but warmer and less snow later in the season. but who knows? the weather will happen and i'll be skiing regardless.

ctenidae

I'll guarantee you that if it's not colder this winter than usual, it will be warmer, or at least average. Also, snowfall amounts will be much higher than average, unless they come in at or below norm.

And that is straight from NOAA.

bvibert

Staff member
severine said:
I'm watching a Connecticut Channel 3 special news program right now on winter weather. They're thinking it will be a snowy winter. I guess the Farmer's Almanac says more snow than usual this year. Heavy periods of snow in early December and late January, with other periods in late December and (I zoned out for the "and" ... sorry!). And they looked at past trends and found that the winter of 1995-1996 was preceded with a similar weather pattern as this year (tons of hurricanes), and that was an extremely snowy winter here. I think he said 115 inches of snow at Windsor Locks that winter?

What do you think?

We can only hope! :) :beer:

Npage148

its a lake effect warning in buffalo. up to a foot in teh southtowns and 6 inches in teh metro and northtowns overnight. THe crazy thing is that it was 67 when i got up at 7 this morning and its dropped to like 39 right now. Its been rather windy all day (35mph with 50mph gusts) and sideways rain and sleet. Im ready to wake up to 6 inches on teh car

Zand

ctenidae said:
I'll guarantee you that if it's not colder this winter than usual, it will be warmer, or at least average.

Thank you, John Madden. :p

Farmer's Almanac has been mostly right so far. I hope it continues.