• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Who is Behind Powder Mountain?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Happy Friday. In looking for photos of Powder Mountain for a Scout event, I stumbled upon this gem. My advice is to make some popcorn, get a stiff drink, sit down and enjoy this fine piece of journalism.

:popcorn: :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️ :stirpot:

KustyTheKlown

lol. kind of a non story. millenial and gen z rich people and older established gen x'ers have fancy private club, hang at ski mountain. whatever. tech bro, tulum, crypto, burning man, microdosing, etc. article = too long to finish or care. powmow still rules and i appreciate the day ticket limit, whoever is responsible for it.

Last edited:

crank

We were interested in buying there and then Summit Group or whatever they call themselves bought the place.

Pow Mow has a great vibe. Last bit of marketing I saw from these guys talked about a new village with "curated" shopping and food. God I hate that word, curated. We skied there about 4 or 5 seasons back and it still had the same old vibe though it looked like they were getting ready to build houses on top.

Too touchy feely next gen for me. Hope it works out ok for the locals is all and I hope they do not ruin a really great place.

KustyTheKlown

i was there the season before last. sparse Scandinavian style housing structures dot the landscape in the skiable terrain. it was a work in progress when i was there, but it didn't strike me as overly gaudy or ostentatious, actually quite minimal in their design. and literally in the middle of an open mellow bowl slope. kind of neat. not sure if they will be building roads or there is only snow access.

jimk

God I hate that word, curated.
:thumbup:

cu·rat·ed | \ ˈkyu̇r-ˌā-təd , ˈkyər-; kyu̇-ˈrā- \

Definition of curated: you're so lazy or stupid that you need a middleman to make choices for you and jack up the prices of stuff you think you need, but probably don't.

abc

:thumbup:

cu·rat·ed | \ ˈkyu̇r-ˌā-təd , ˈkyər-; kyu̇-ˈrā- \

Definition of curated: you're so lazy or stupid that you need a middleman to make choices for you and jack up the prices of stuff you think you need, but probably don't.

That's a lot harsher than what I can come up with! :thumbup:

I always thought that's a word for people who had more money than sense, AND KNOW IT!

So they hope to BUY the sense they don't have, with money. :)

(Frankly, I don't have a problem with people who have more money than sense to pay for the "curator" service. But does everyone else who buy into these "curated" whatever realize what they're really buying and admitting? ;))

Domeskier

When a man you never met before suddenly tells you his passion - that's Power Mountain!

I for one am glad there's a place where rich people who are ashamed of making their money off robocalls and pictures of insecure teenagers can pay for reassurance from some millennial yoga-cult leader that their suborbital space flights are going to save the future of humanity.

1dog

It sounds like paradise for the curated artisan woke crowd.
Got a friend who lives there - at ticket booth condos - its more like Powder Room Mountain now. . . . . . ( quoting a friend)

I recall 1st time skiing at Park West in 1991- $15 tickets. . . then. . . . ASC and the Canyon Crowd came in. . . . . . I like your quote tho RA - perfect.

Saving the world, one multi-millionaire at a time . . . .

BenedictGomez

i was there the season before last. sparse Scandinavian style housing structures dot the landscape in the skiable terrain. it was a work in progress when i was there, but it didn't strike me as overly gaudy or ostentatious, actually quite minimal in their design.

That doesnt look like the blueprints I've seen. Stuff was ugly & modern, catered to the ostentatious, self-righteous, youthful, Californian nouveau rich. Great place, but it seems like it's destined for destruction is my guess.

KustyTheKlown

i stand by 'actually quite minimal' for these, which are the ones i was specifically referring to.

summit-horizon-cabins_dno05o.jpg

BenedictGomez

raisingarizona

This is the sort of development I was referring to. Ugly & modern, IMO.

Is it more of a sustainable and environmentally conscious development? If so I think that’s pretty cool. Those buildings aren’t like the giant fu to the planet like the homes all around tellurides ski runs in the mountain village. For millionaires or whatever they are it’s pretty darn modest. That’s a good trend imho.

raisingarizona

Got a friend who lives there - at ticket booth condos - its more like Powder Room Mountain now. . . . . . ( quoting a friend)

I recall 1st time skiing at Park West in 1991- $15 tickets. . . then. . . . ASC and the Canyon Crowd came in. . . . . . I like your quote tho RA - perfect.

Saving the world, one multi-millionaire at a time . . . .
Powder room? Like lots of cocaine?

abc

I for one am glad there's a place where rich people who are ashamed of making their money off robocalls and pictures of insecure teenagers can pay for reassurance from some millennial yoga-cult leader that their suborbital space flights are going to save the future of humanity.
I don't know where you got the idea they're "ashamed of" making money off robocalls and pictures of insecure teenagers.

They maybe paying for some other fashionable ideas. But they're not shutting down their money cow.

crystalmountainskier

Is it more of a sustainable and environmentally conscious development? If so I think that’s pretty cool. Those buildings aren’t like the giant fu to the planet like the homes all around tellurides ski runs in the mountain village. For millionaires or whatever they are it’s pretty darn modest. That’s a good trend imho.

There's nothing sustainable or environmentally conscious about 5,200 square foot vacation homes at 9,000 feet in a corner of the Wasatch which was previously natural.