• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sochi - VT's Hannah Kearney's Bronze in Moguls

timm

To be honest I thought Miller's "[the training runs which I won were] the perfect conditions to see who is the best skier." comment after the downhill final to be a lot dumber than Kearney's comments.

MadMadWorld

I like what she says here:

I certainly never dreamed of breaking down on National TV, but in the moment that I failed to achieve the goal I had poured my body and soul into for the last four years, I experienced very strong emotions. Some people have criticized my behavior and labeled it as "disrespectful, embarrassing, entitled, & bratty." I believe that everyone has a right to their true feelings and opinions, but I certainly don't mean to be ungrateful. I may have been devastated in the moment, but I am thrilled to be at the Olympics and proud to be bringing home a medal for my country.

I know it is impossible to please everyone, just as it is impossible to win every competition. Although I may be hyper-competitive and very focused on winning, I acknowledge that sports and life are about setting goals, working hard and conducting yourself in respectful and authentic manner, not just striving for a victory. I have also learned that in this age of social media, it is easy to get over exposed to other people's opinions. I have chosen to share my life and my career, so I will take the criticism with the support and I will use it to make myself a stronger person.

but she F@(ked up PR wise and she knows it. People love watching sports, not just for the winners, but the human experience of losing too - and how one handles losing and winning. They toned down the antics in the end zone after a touch down for a reason; no one likes a sore loser or a boastful winner.

And, as for tears for losing at the entitled position of competing in the Olympics, Puleez, save your self pity and go watch some of our war veterans competing in the Paralympics, with half a body; if you want to see people who have sacrificed everything and still compete honorably.[h=1][/h]

I despise the media for trying to get quotes or video of people when they are the most vulnerable. The whole Sherman thing is a prime example. Let folks react however they please in that moment. If it doesn't effect you what do you care? None of us will even remember it a week from now. Acting like the Olympics is a competition of higher standards where sportsmanship is weighted more is ludicrous. We applaud winners for being jubilant and rowdy but losers are supposed to be humble. If I was that skater who thought he won the gold by .07 seconds only to be stripped minutes later I would be royally pissed too. I don't think I would cry my eyes out but I would be noticeably pissed. I don't see the emotions as a negative. I think it's what makes the Olympics so amazing. These folks train hard for 4 years or more for this 1 event. Before people judge they should put themselves in some of these folks shoes.

timm

I despise the media for trying to get quotes or video of people when they are the most vulnerable.

That is their job and it is not as if the athletes are not involved in letting the media in -- it's in their interests. Kearney wasn't all over NBC all week against her will.

MadMadWorld

That is their job and it is not as if the athletes are not involved in letting the media in -- it's in their interests. Kearney wasn't all over NBC all week against her will.

When Julia finished her slalom run? All the combined medal winners appeared very happy for the success of their competitors.

Well they also won medals as well but you have a point. My criticism is more with the media and how they deliberately try to "catch" athletes saying something or doing something in the heat of the moment and ridiculing them for it. Yet praising them their emotional reactions when they win.

Mapnut

Was it in the 95-m. jumping? The bronze and silver winners hoisted the gold winner onto their shoulders and paraded him around. 3 different countries too.

x10003q

When Julia finished her slalom run? All the combined medal winners appeared very happy for the success of their competitors.

or were they just elated that she didn't beat them? Reisch and Hosp were jumping for joy as they watched Laura Gut ski out of the course right before Mancuso's run. Hosp was the one who could be out of the medals. I realize that those women probably spend a lot of time together and were actually happy for Mancuso, but I am sure they were happier for themselves (which is fine). It is easy to be happy for your competitor when you win.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was more referring to how happy Julia was an the appreciation she showed to the girls that beat her.

She was in 1st place by a good margin after the downhill. A lot of people would be upset if they didn't win the gold coming from that leadership position. Granted, she hadn't raced slalom in a year, so her expectations needed to be realistic.

You also saw with the Canadian bump guys cheering on Kingsbury. Bilideau was on the cusp of history and he was cheering like crazy for Kingsbury to kill it knowing it might mean he'd lose out on history.

x10003q

I was more referring to how happy Julia was an the appreciation she showed to the girls that beat her.

She was in 1st place by a good margin after the downhill. A lot of people would be upset if they didn't win the gold coming from that leadership position. Granted, she hadn't raced slalom in a year, so her expectations needed to be realistic.

You also saw with the Canadian bump guys cheering on Kingsbury. Bilideau was on the cusp of history and he was cheering like crazy for Kingsbury to kill it knowing it might mean he'd lose out on history.

As you mentioned, Mancuso's zero training in SL led to the great excitement for the bronze. Many athletes are truly happy for their competitors. I find it hard to be critical of anything they say or do in the moment.

MadMadWorld

Julia still won a medal. Show me someone react the same way if they just got bumped from the Bronze.

jack97

I despise the media for trying to get quotes or video of people when they are the most vulnerable.

This! This is the reason I tuned out of the olympics, it has turned into a human interest story and then throw in that drama that the media can drum up every now and then.

bigbog

It's all fraught with politics and corporate support. CEOs, politicians, and most broadcasting celebs have as much knowledge of human emotion as we have in watching Putin slide down a bunnyslope in his one-piece....

Last edited:

jack97

hmmm..... not 100% in agreement about that. Where else can we support athletes that we do not follow during the season. Come on, like do I have to watch curling because the us team has a chance of winning?

btw.... i'm glad the canadians freestyle team both men and women did so well, at least the mens have been skiing great since the last olympics.

MadMadWorld

It's all fraught with politics and corporate support. CEOs, politicians, and most broadcasting celebs have as much knowledge of human emotion as we have in watching Putin slide down a bunnyslope in his one-piece....

He actually is a half way decent skier based on the video I've seen.

dlague

I understand her emotion! She probably felt like she let her self down and her country! She made a mistake and ended up losing in her mind! She prepared hard and did not do as well as she thought! Julia on the other hand was not expected to medal and she did so it was exciting for her! I do not hold it against her. She is human.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone