• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

River19

Again......Big Q doesn't strike me as someone I would trust running a McD's franchise let alone a 9 figure business. He really comes off like a straight up bucket head.

VTKilarney

According to VTDigger, the state is not going to renew the contract with Q Resorts for management of the airport in Newport.

It looks like Q Jr. Is as good at managing airports as he is ski areas:
“It’s an understatement to say it’s been extremely difficult to get (Q Resorts) to be responsive,” Cole said. “It hasn’t been a great business relationship in terms of their responsiveness, but I don’t feel that we’ve tied up the state’s assets.”

thetrailboss

Staff member
Start at 2:42 and you will see what the State of Vermont is in deep $hit here....and will be no doubt sued:

Also listen at about 4:05 on where he talks about how the State of Vermont has "partnered" with him to release four new projects. The first one? AnCBio!

gladerider

I haven't arrived at perfection yet though.
I still need a Federal Indictment, but then I'll be like....

You may get it. My guess is that that would take a while, though.

The SEC does not have the authority to bring Federal Indictments. Its mandate is to bring civil enforcement of security laws. However, based on SEC actions, criminal charges may be brought against them via a federal grand jury. That can take a year or two. I think some of these charges bring 10 to 20 years depending on severity.

Interesting case.

cdskier

Someone posted that on the FOB page last week. The article is naive at best. Fraud is not an "assumed risk" in any investment.

I saw that article in my newsfeed on Facebook last week and read it. I thought it was pretty poor and didn't seem to have any true understanding of the level of fraud alleged in the case and why it is considered fraud.

Are some of the things that were ultimately accomplished good? Sure, that's a real possibility. But do the ends justify the means? I don't think so when it is done illegally.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not intended to be "reporting". Just a "hot take" to, yes, get clicks and offer a different angle in the blame game while most jump directly to conviction.

Right, it was an op-ed piece. Still missed the mark. Sorry. I prefer that STE make movies instead of try to be Unofficial Networks.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net

abc

Someone posted that on the FOB page last week. The article is naive at best. Fraud is not an "assumed risk" in any investment.
Ignorance is a more accurate description. And he's proud of his ignorance. :(

To profess "co-mingling of funds" is a non-issue is failing business 101. You ONLY set up multiple entities to SEPARATE the funds, not to use these entities to co-mingle funds for the purpose of creating the illusion of profitability when none existed.

And the NEK "benefited" part? You can always "create jobs" by build a bunch of building in the middle of nowhere. The fact no one will EVER occupy them is lost on the author, who is more ski bum rather than business analyst.

I recalled one of the comments on "60 Minutes" when the story first aired last year: "So it's ok that you go rob a bank and use the money to build a hospital?". The fact the "bank" being robbed are owned by a bunch of foreigners makes it even more OK! ;)

The sad news is, now that so many of the most vocal of the "locals" are supporting the crooks, to the point of saying "screw these foreigner visa buyers". If ever there's a genuine project that needs to raise funds, no one will ever come because investors outside the NEK believe they will never see their money again.

With that kind of attitude from the locals, what do you think the potential buyer(s) of Jay will be thinking? Let's hope the local "monies" can buy Jay and run it. Then they can screw themselves.

BenedictGomez

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The sad news is, now that so many of the most vocal of the "locals" are supporting the crooks, to the point of saying "screw these foreigner visa buyers". If ever there's a genuine project that needs to raise funds, no one will ever come because investors outside the NEK believe they will never see their money again.

With that kind of attitude from the locals, what do you think the potential buyer(s) of Jay will be thinking? Let's hope the local "monies" can buy Jay and run it. Then they can screw themselves.

Who are these "locals" of which you speak? The editor(s) at the Cal-Rec and this one dude on a ski oriented website that isn't really local to this part of VT?

thetrailboss

Staff member

I think that view is held by a relatively small number of folks.