• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 1/5-1/7 2010

Ice Queen

Conditions are pretty good at Stowe, but on Wednesday the 6th, the gondola, the quad, and the Sensation quad were all not working, and then today, Thursday morning, again neither the gondola nor the quad were working. They got the gondi open around midday, and also the Sensation quad over on Spruce, but riding the double to the top is painful.
20th century lifts at 21st century prices.

The other issue at Stowe is this weird ice that keeps forming on people's goggles so it's almost impossible to see. That was happening all day Wednesday, and in the afternoon on Thursday. Everyone was complaining about it.

So the snow is good but nothing else is, I guess. Not having either the quad or the gondola running is a serious bummer. And I suspect their early morning reports are extremely, um, optimistic -- today they said it would be a "delayed opening" for the quad and the gondi was on wind hold, but an insider tells me the gondi was actually broken, and I don't think they really even tried to get the quad open today or ever though they would.

deadheadskier

Staff member
bummer you had a bad experience, though not surprised they charged full price. I would think the lifts not spinning were most likely wind issues. That can be a problem at Stowe for sure.