• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 1/5

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Date(s) Skied: Jan 5, 2010

Resort or Ski Area: Stowe

Conditions: Cold, powdery, mostly groomed, glazed doughnut

Trip Report: Ok, so I'm a few days late with the TR. I was having such a good time in Stowe, sitting in front of the laptop posting TR's was not high on my priority list.

Good skiing today. Mostly a nice packed powder with some scratchiness in spots. Started the day off at the Forerunner Quad a little late and the Gondola wasn't running yet. They were making snow overnight on Liftline, and had 3-4 guns pointed directly at the chairlift. So by the time you got to the top, you looked like a glazed doughnut and your bases got a nice blasting with ice. Lifties were handing out scrapers at the top to clean your bases off. I just used my Blue season pass and that worked pretty good.

After 3 trips up the Quad, I had enough of this and decided I was going to go over to the Midway lodge until the gondi started spinning. Well, just as I got there, they started letting people up. So I skied off the Gondola until around noon.

I then went over to explore the Spruce area a bit. Took the Sunny Quad up 3 times and enjoyed the trails over there a lot. I made my way over to the Sensation Quad, but there was a huge headwind that blasted you the whole ride up, so I only did one run off that lift.

Lunch in The Great Room was fun. Using real silverware and plates in the lodge is a novel concept. After lunch, I did a few more runs off the Sunny Quad, then went back over to the Gondola to get out of the wind. I like the area over at Spruce and will go back there later in my trip.

Snowmaking on Liftline
IMG_0066.jpg

Here's where I go get glazed
IMG_0075.jpg

Me on my solo gondola ride
IMG_0090.jpg

Mansfield Gondola Area
IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Lunch (Chili, Onion Rings & Coffee)
IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

(Yes, the chili and rings are as good as they look ;-) )

Spruce Area
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg
o

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks! I'll be up there on Saturday.

Now I understand another's comment that gogs were getting iced up. I'm sure they didn't do that on purpose. Winds must have shifted. You're lucky they didn't lifthold the quad.
Where was the best snow?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks! I'll be up there on Saturday.

Now I understand another's comment that gogs were getting iced up. I'm sure they didn't do that on purpose. Winds must have shifted. You're lucky they didn't lifthold the quad.
Where was the best snow?
Honestly, Spruce, but there's a heavy gaper factor over there.. I didn't make it over to the Forerunner Quad on my last day (Nose Dive was closed for snowmaking), but Main Street was simply awesome.