• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe: 10-14-06

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, definitely looks like snow for the higher peaks in the region later this week. i am still waiting for two days out to hear more specifics before getting excited and heading to the shop to pick up my gear early. if it happens, i may head somewhere after work depending on who gets the jackpot. it will need to be a 4k peak likely.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not to rain on the parade, but these guys say that while it will probably snow, it won't be a significant amount. :( But it's coming!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
most weather forecasters report for the valleys, even eye on the sky doesn't generally go into much detail for higher peaks forecasts. other sources on the net such as the straight poop from the NWS folks, scott on skivtl/fto, and the easternwx forums are great sources for micro forecast predictions that dial into upper elevation forecasts. i doubt it will be a significant amount either, but i wouldn't even take eye on the sky's word for upper elevation snow fall predictions.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I was thinking of making an early morning ascent of Sugarbush North... Alot higher up than the skiable stuff on Mansfield, plus with little to no snow you want to ski down some grass, not mansfields summit rocks...

-porter

thetrailboss

Staff member
But then again, you only need an inch or two to ski, so I would think that is in the cards...

awf170

Not to rain on the parade, but these guys say that while it will probably snow, it won't be a significant amount. :( But it's coming!!!

Uplift, trailboss, uplift.

I was thinking of making an early morning ascent of Sugarbush North... Alot higher up than the skiable stuff on Mansfield, plus with little to no snow you want to ski down some grass, not mansfields summit rocks...

-porter

Yeah, its higher. But it is also a longer hike. I was thinking the run under the gondi, not summit stuff. The gondi line is a pretty easy hike and I assume it is very grassy. Also probably a perfect pitch, enough to actually move, not steep enough that you really have to dig in on turns, and hence destroy your skis.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Uplift, trailboss, uplift.

Yeah, its higher. But it is also a longer hike. I was thinking the run under the gondi, not summit stuff. The gondi line is a pretty easy hike and I assume it is very grassy. Also probably a perfect pitch, enough to actually move, not steep enough that you really have to dig in on turns, and hence destroy your skis.

Do what you wish... SB North is not that far, did it three weeks ago in an hour and fifteen... if thats to far for some good snow, then by goodness, go to stowe and good luck!

-porter

Last edited:

awf170

Do what you wish... SB North is not that far, did it three weeks ago in an hour and fifteen... if thats to far for some good snow, then by goodness, go to stowe and good luck!

-porter

Hmmm.... doesn't sound too bad. Whats the base elavation difference? Probably around the same right? "Good snow", thats a relative term right? :razz:

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Hmmm.... doesn't sound too bad. Whats the base elavation difference? Probably around the same right? "Good snow", thats a relative term right? :razz:

Good snow is any snow in October...!!

Either way, its not to much of a hike! However, the weather is looking less encouraging as of right now. Last week in October looks super cold though, thats good news!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
However, the weather is looking less encouraging as of right now. Last week in October looks super cold though, thats good news!
yea, i have been skeptical of this week and it seems my skepticsm was well warrented. i can have the gear ready to go if this weeken fires something up, but i already am looking forward to next week's low temps.