• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Mountain Resort - Sunday, December 4, 2005

kbroderick

Date(s) Skied:

4 December 2005, about 9 a.m. through 1:15 p.m.

Resort or Ski Area:

Stowe Mountain Resort

Conditions:

Good snowpack (starting as firm packed powder and degenerating into race snow over the course of the day) on a few trails, some fresh snow over a lot of old rocks on others. To quote the official report: "Enjoy the great conditions, but use caution--some open waterbars & obstacles exist, especially on steeper terrain."

Trip Report:

Tickets were $15 with a donation to the Vermont Food Shelf, so I decided it was worth a shot. The trail report claimed 41 open trails as of Saturday night, which I thought to be awfully optimistic (I live in Bolton and we have very similar weather patterns, so I was doubtful that there was enough fallen snow to provide adequate cover on trails that didn't have manmade on them yet.).

After a fifteen-minute wait in the ticket line, we started the day with a few runs on Ridgeline to Lord and North Slope, which all had good cover and pretty good conditions. We watched people attempting Lift Line, which appeared to be somewhat lacking in cover in key sections while also having significant amounts of freshies in other places.

Around 12:15, we got tired of the minimal variations available while sticking to the well-covered stuff and attempted Nosedive. It was quite interesting, and my skis are still mad at me for trying it; my muscles may have something to say about it tomorrow.

Overall, it was a good day; the $15 tickets definitely brought people out of the woodwork, though. (In addition to a pair of former coworkers, I ran into a highschool classmate.) It was amusing to note how many people made comments to the effect of "I definitely couldn't afford this at full price."

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
We watched people attempting Lift Line, which appeared to be somewhat lacking in cover in key sections while also having significant amounts of freshies in other places.
liftline was freakin' awesome in the AM. it got skied off quickly, but i was still doing liftline to national on the last run at 3pm and still whooping it up. but as you mentioned, even for a foot and a half of consolidated pow (and 20" untracked if you hiked ;) ), i could never have afforded their regular ticket prices.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
kbroderick said:
The trail report claimed 41 open trails as of Saturday night, which I thought to be awfully optimistic (I live in Bolton and we have very similar weather patterns, so I was doubtful that there was enough fallen snow to provide adequate cover on trails that didn't have manmade on them yet.).

Sounds like a great time. But are you kidding me....Boston having the same weather patterns as mt. mansfield?

Greg

Staff member
marcski said:
kbroderick said:
The trail report claimed 41 open trails as of Saturday night, which I thought to be awfully optimistic (I live in Bolton and we have very similar weather patterns, so I was doubtful that there was enough fallen snow to provide adequate cover on trails that didn't have manmade on them yet.).

Sounds like a great time. But are you kidding me....Boston having the same weather patterns as mt. mansfield?
You misread. He said Bolton.

Welcome to the forums, kbroderick!